Friday, May 25, 2007

Successful day at the used bookstore

After coffee Z and I took our biweekly trip to the used bookstore.

The first one here is a sticker biography book. Each page has a famous American and there are sticker portraits for each one. I love when I find a fully intact sticker book at a used book store. The second book is a beautifully illustrated picture book of American presidents

Here is an example of the American president's book The Buck Stops Here.

This book cost me the most today, at $3.00. Most of the other's were $1.00 or less. Z has a few books on rocks and minerals but this one has experiments and is laid out in a way that I know would appeal to Z.


I am surprised I couldn't find a review of the Mr. Wizard book online. It is full of all kinds of experiments from quick and easy to ones that require more time and effort on a many different topics. I am sure we will use this book and I will post how the experiments go.


This is an inside view of the Invention and Discoveries book from the picture above. Each double page spread is on a different type of invention or inventor. This one is Leonardo DiVinci. Each topic has experiments for the kids to do themselves. For example go around the house and look at all the things that need to be repaired and then write how you would try to repair it. Another asked the reader to design a hat or headwear with three different uses.


Z picked out these two books (she is reading one of them now and figuring out the mysteries)


I got these for myself. I LOVE the Tightwad Gazette. And I need to brush up on my Physics so I can teach it to Z. I know this is a popular series amoung gifted homeschoolers so I thought it was worth it for $2.50.

3 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Wonderful finds at the book store! The illustrations are quite detailed and nostalgic.

C's Learning Treasures said...

Great Books! One looks very familiar ;-)

Cher Mere said...

Hi Mariposa

I do like old books (although not when they are obviously out of date)

O's Mom - Which one?