Thursday, May 03, 2007

Betsey Ross's house and the the Liberty Bell

That is what I think Z is going to see today. Betsey's house, the Bell and other historical sites in Philly. Either that or they might go to the mall. You never can tell.

I have the whole day ahead of me with noone and nothing asking for my time. So I plan to write some more. And maybe watch some Poirot.

Last night Pere and I went out to dinner and then we went to this martini bar and played pool. I probably played my worse pool ever. But it was still fun. We drank some and watched the last Laker game of the season. It has been somewhat nice with Z gone. Nice enough that I can at least begin to imagine life after she goes to college.

But really I miss sitting with her in the rocking chair every morning. I miss holding her and smelling her hair (I am big on smelling her hair... does that make me weird?) I miss trying to hold my long-legged child on my lap like a baby. I miss stretching out next to her in her bed at night and hearing her secret thoughts about her day.

I miss feeding her right, both bodily and of the mind. I miss the opportunity to make right decisions for her. I miss making her laugh.

I miss the funny things she calls out to us at night after she has retire to her bedroom.

I enjoy having time to write and time for quiet and time to have grown-up date night and see R-rated movies. But I never really wanted her to go and I am, as always, ready for her to be home.

4 comments:

sarah said...

It is great that you can recognise the ways in which you miss your girl ... and also great that you can admit it is nice having free time to yourself.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Wow. Great Post.

C's Learning Treasures said...

I have the hair thing too. I am always kissing the top of O's head where it hair sticks up:)

BTW I still once in a while,try to hold O like I did when he was a baby:0 Yep, I guess no matter what age, our children will always be our babies.

Garden State Kate said...

I hope she got to see the Betsey Ross house, the historic area of Philly was a favorite of mine growing up.
I'm still a sucker for the Liberty Bell!