Monday, May 28, 2007

fear of failure

This morning Z was practicing her song for the talent show. She was trying to sing to the music on karaoke and in certain areas she would either go too slow or too fast. Soon she was getting frustrated and teary eyed.

Z is used to getting things right quickly. Sometimes when she doesn't get things right quickly she feels like giving up. She doesn't believe in herself at that moment. She should.

This is a big hurdle in Z's way. So far I have always been there for her and I have given her a boost up. But today I realized that Z really needs to find the strength in herself and I have to figure out how to help her find it. That means she needs to have more practice failing. She might need to do some bibliotherapy. She needs to learn this life lesson. It is a very important one. If she lets little hurdles turn her away from what she wants to do then she won't get very far in life.

I see that my job as a parent is to help hone my child's intellect and willpower so she can face and triumph over her weaknesses and find the courage to use her strengths.

I don't think it helps my child to shield her from her weaknesses. I have heard many parents say "It is hard for my child to do this. So I don't make him."

But I ask myself why is it hard for my child? Is it something she could overcome through the virtues of hardwork and diligence? Would her life be better off if she had some power over the weakness rather than it holding the power over her? Would she have a better understanding of herself and/or human nature if she confronted her weakness?

I have also seen parent's treat a child's strength like it doesn't matter. Some see a strength like nail head sticking out that needs to be pounded back in for the sake of confirmity. But everyone has a gift to bring to this world and, to me, it only makes sense to support the unique strengths of your child.

Don't be hard. Don't push. Don't turn her off. Have faith in her. Believe she can do it. Hold her hand and support her. That is my job.

You might think it is weird but I keep thinking of a quote from the Rocky movie I just saw.

Rocky Balboa: The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place It will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me or nobody is going to hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit, it is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much can you take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so hard, isn't it. I've said before, that's why I like piano for V. -- often it comes easy, and when it doesn't she is self-motivated to try again, even when the tears come.

Now that V. is 8 we are also sending her to camp. I am a little nervous -- it is a trial by fire! -- but apart from all the great things I expect her to be challenged by having to do so much for herself. I expect it to be a bit hard for her, but she won't be able to fall back on mom or dad to take over.

So I know what you mean --ironically when things come easily it is easy to give up on yourself without discovering what you can do with a bit of perserverance and fortitude.

Cher Mere said...

Hi Shaun

Yes, piano helps Z in this area too. Her teacher constantly challenges her and sometimes there are tears because things don't come easy enough. But later I can remind her "Remember when you thought you would never be able to play that song? Look at you now."

sarah said...

You write many good posts, but this would have to be one of the best. Thank you.

C's Learning Treasures said...

Beautiful post!

Anonymous said...

I mention this because of your recent post about Z being moved to a more advanced gymnastics class...Competitive gymnastics has been great tool for teaching my gifted daughter to work through challenges. Academics have come very easy to her, but with gymnastics even if a child is incredible, once one skill is mastered, there are so many more for them to work on and nuances of routines to polish. Competition has been chock full of so many life lessons that I could not create in a home environment. Gymnastics has been the tool for my daughter.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

This is an eloquent post.

I didn't respond right away because I really don't know what to say because it has been an issue this year.

For myself, sometimes, I only take what is useful from a book or advice. In the end, I do what works best for our individual child. It is too confusing otherwise. It is great that you have formulated your thoughts. ( I had one, but mine is being rewritten in my mind at this time. )

I liked Shaun's related post as well.