Saturday, May 13, 2006

the individual

I am sitting here editing some digital photos and listen to Z sing while she colors some Mother's day cards.

The theme of her song is "Harmony". I think she means the musical definition but she could also be alluding to the co-operative meaning.

I am delighted that she is not too self-conscious to sing in front of me. I hope it stays that way. I can imagine her in a regular school singing one of the crazy and loud songs that she makes up and the other kids making fun of her and possibly even getting in trouble with the teacher for being disruptive.

At school Z would have to go without singing (and dancing) or 6 or 7 hours at a time.

She might even be ridiculed for making up these long and strange songs if the other kids heard them. She might lose confidence in herself.

I understand why schools can't cater to each child's passion. But wouldn't it be cool if they did? Almost every kid has at least one worthwhile passion. It might be dinosaurs or bug or ponies or sewing or color or poetry. Imagine the difference in kids lives if they were encouraged and allowed to follow their passions instead of being told "The subjects we have chosen for you are much more important than anything you might be interested in." and "There is no time for that."

Some schools do let the children some creative individuality, in projects or what book to read for homework. But many, maybe most, don't. And what they do allow the kids to engage in, are for the most part, dry and watered-down.

I am imagining a small school where kids, with the help of the staff and parents, design their own curriculum. Sure, they still need to do math, and reading and writing, etc but _How_ they learn it can be designed to incorporate the child's learning style and interests.

For example, Z does a lot of writing. I have a few writing workbooks that ask questions like "Name 8 eight things that start with the letter B" or "Write a paragraph about sports using these 10 words." Those books are sitting on a shelf practically empty, whilst pages and pages of writings about hermit crabs, spiders, Roman Emperors, Harry Potter and cells abound.

I mean, why can't a child read what he wants and write what he wants as long as he is reading and writing? Now that might be easy for me to say since Z prefers to read books with good vocabulary and classic themes so perhaps some books are better to be read than others in a school setting. Writing is a process and even kids who feel they have nothing to say can eventually be taught to write something interesting. And there are many ways to learn math. If a grade 2 kids need to know x,y,z by the end of the year there are many ways to accomplish this from workbooks, living math, songs, online programs, and card and board games.

I guess a big problem to my idea is resources and teacher's energy level and availablity. But wouldn't it be lovely?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, Wholw heartly.To your idea of teaching a child, Wish I could have done it that way, when I was growing up!!

Cher Mere said...

Thanks!

I have more ideas like this. I'll write them out when I can.