Tuesday, May 09, 2006

YKYCIGW

You know your child is gifted when the only book your five year old wants to check out from the library is a compendium of short stories written by Agatha Christie about the Belgian detective Poirot. And then at the checkout counter's mural of a dozen or more different languages she is able to pick out Hebrew, Latin, Egyptian, English, Japanese, Braille and Norse Runes.

But seriously, today was a bit of an uncoomfortable trip to the library. Z wanted to ask the Reference Desk lady to help her find the adult mystery section. She told the lady she was looking for Agatha Christie and the lady said 'Isn't that a little too old for you?" and Z said "Well we have the Poirot movies and I just want to read the book."

Then the only Poirot they have is this huge compendium, which fortunately, has the story that we watched last night in it, The Adventure of the Italian Nobleman. So Z takes this HUGE book into the kids section and sits at a table with another woman and boy. The woman is eyeing Z and the book and I am afraid to look at her because I don't want to discuss it. Then Z uses the contents pages and find her story and goes to it and announces to me that it is in Hasting's point-of-view rather than Poirot's but that is okay with her. Out of the corner of my vision I see the woman's eyes bulging at Z.

Again, the woman standing behind us in line was making noises of surprise when Z was running around naming all the languages on the mural. But I was afraid to look at her. I guess I don't know how to respond to any questions. So I just stand there and act like what Z is doing is perfectly normal and therefore does not need to be remarked upon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about other mothers being Jealous of Z. They don't understand a child doing the things that Z can do, as you said, you must develope a thick skin, and thank God Z is so gifted. G & G

Cher Mere said...

I certainly wasn't born with a thick skin. Do you know what I mean? But I do try. I think it is extra hard to develop a thick skin about your child.

I do thank God. That she is gifted yes, but moreso that she is so sweet natured and healthy. :)