Monday, May 15, 2006

our daily schedule

I know basically what we are going to do each day.

I have a list of subjects – Math, Japanese, Piano, Reading, Writing/ Language Arts, Science, History/Geography, Art, Music, and Visual Spatial. We don’t get to all of them everyday. In the morning I type out what I want to do in each subject to help me stay on tack, and even then we do go off track if something better comes along.

I start with math because I've heard that kids are more able to focus first thing in the morning. I don't know if that is true for Z. She does spend too much of time between problems day dreaming and sometimes even singing. I have to say "Focus!" a lot during math.

But it could also be personality differences. I used to be an efficiency expert. I redesigned all the systems in a company to work much better and then I would train people to work in the new system. I did this when I worked for Motorola too, before I got into Q.A.

My whole brain is always focusing to figuring out the most efficient way to do something. I am not sure what Z’s brain is wired for but I am positive it is not working like mine. *grin* At lot of times I have to nudge her to go on to the next problem in math or Japanese or piano, because she is just sitting there humming or something.

I have to remind myself to back-off and let her do things her own way, but I still don’t want Math to take an hour or more.

Ummm… where was I?

Okay – so first we do math and then Japanese since that is also mentally intensive, although in a different way than math.

This morning we are working on writing the new verbs we are supposed to learn this week. I am happy to say we accomplished my goal of learning 15 adjectives last week.

After Japanese we either do writing or skip writing and go straight to piano. Today Z needs to address some Mother’s Day cards. I know it is late but better late than never right?

Then she will play her four songs or do her Daily Dozen.

Recently Z has also been taking a bike ride in the morning while it is still cool. This morning we are going to ride to the music store to get staff paper.

After that we are going to read this really great science book called Taming Fire - Volcanoes, lightning, cooking, blacksmithing, rockets and fireworks by Scholastic. It looks sooooo cool and I can see many jumping off point to learn more about as they also talk about candle making, Roman baths, clay, blowing glass, lighthouses, firearms and include many famous paintings like Degas At the Ambassadors and van Gogh’s The Potato Eaters.

I would say that book covers both science and history.

(sigh – as I write this Z is supposed to be writing the hiragana of her new Japanese words but she has stopped and is singing a song she has made up of Japanese sounds to the tune of the Ompah Loompah songs. But when I tap the paper she starts back up writing again and manages to continue singing. )

For more reading I am still working through the Illustrated Jewish Bible for Children and Z is on the 5th Kit – An American Girl book

Since Z is going to be singing four songs in June (one for the Talent Show and 3 for the piano recital) I have her practice them throughout the day.

We actually get most of this done before lunch or by 2:00 p.m. if we take a long bike ride. The afternoons are for playing either with friends or alone or trips to the library or swimming in the pool. Today we are supposed to have a pool play date.

The evening holds another piano practice and working on music theory but no other formal work.

For physical education she does bike riding, swimming and gymnastics. She also does 3 – 6 hours of week of running around at the park with her little friends. Tonight I think we will also play some tennis before dinner.

I am not sure what kind of homeschooling I do. It is not unschooling but it is also not “school-in-a-box.” I have called it “child led classical.”’ I am most influenced by Charlotte Mason although I don’t follow her curriculum exactly. I have fiddled with it to make to work best with Z and myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! We also do math in the morning, though we actually start with piano nearly every day. And yes, math is a battle to focus. I've tried playing beat the clock, and I'm tempted to play beat-the-kid some days! I try to accept that time management is not going to be one of her areas of giftedness, most likely. Our biggest sidetracker is drawing -- in particular Violet likes to draw "Math Girls," which are kind of like superheroes, but they don't really have superpowers beyond doing math. I've got to get this kid into art classes.

Sucero Family said...

Sounds like you have full and productive days. I read "Charlotte Mason" as "Charles Manson" and I thought "I didn't know he was an educator". Duh! It is still pretty early in the morning, I guess I don't focus well in the mornings.