Monday, May 01, 2006

So today was kind of amazing




Today Z rode her bike all by herself (for short distances) 11 times! Today was the first time she had ridden her bike since last October when we took the training wheels off.

After math, when it was still cool enough to go outside and exercise I went in a two block square with her riding her bike. It was really pretty awful this morning. There was lots of complaining and whining and stopping the bike and taking her feet off and some crying. It was not fun.

When we got home I spoke to her about our "internal dialogue" and how what we say to ourselves in our own heads can help or harm us. We talked about what the complaining and whining and fear talk was doing to her ability and then figured out what she could say instead that would help her. She wrote herself a letter: "I am going to ride my bike. I am not going to complain or whine. I want to ride my bike because I can get about faster and I can go to the park." Then she drew a picture of herself riding her bike. :)

When Pere got home we took her out again and went 10 blocks. It was during this evening at she was able to ride 11 times all by herself.

I am very proud of her! Yay for Z!

During homeschooling today we made a calendar using Japanese names for the month, days of the week and numbers. Then I read her a story book about the Great Barrier Reef that went well the with Blue Planet DVD series we watched last week. Then she practiced piano for twenty minutes.

During lunch we watched another program on ancient Roman engineering - this time we learned about the coliseum, the pantheon and the Roman baths. It reminded me of the book City by Macaulay which I know out library has. So after lunch we went to the library and I got City and a book on being a Roman soldier. Z found Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and decided to read that again. She finished a quarter of it while we were at the grocery store shopping!

When we came home Z acted out being a Roman soldier and I made her some tinfoil armour.

After the bike ride, (where she rode 11 times by herself!) we were all so hot that we quickly changed into suits and jumped in the pool. Whew! That was refreshing!

Now we are watching the first season of the Muppets (I loved that show as a child.) Did you know Bert and Ernie were on the second episode?? (I love Ernie!)

2 comments:

Sucero Family said...

I love the armour! That looks like fun. And congrats on the bike riding Z! That is no small accomplishment. Whoo-hoo!

Anonymous said...

A great lesson. The self-fulfilling prophecy vs positive affirmation.