Wednesday, May 30, 2007

calming down

Sometimes I get overwhelmed with the responsibility I feel to make the right decisions for Z. Last night after talking to Z's teacher I was feeling kind of stressed in that regard.

But this evening I had more time to think about some things her teacher said and also talk to a mom with a focused kid and I have more confidence in what I am doing.

Last night Z's piano teacher said that a "super talented" kid would want to spend hours at the piano. We both agreed that Z does not want to do that.

Then today I was talking to a woman who's daughter is an ice skater. She skates 3 -4 hours everyday. The girl is 12 and has been skating seriously since she was 9 and she started skating at 5. I asked the mom how she felt about letting her daughter make the choice to practice so much and to focus on this one thing and she said "My daughter never really wanted to do anything except skate. So it wasn't a hard decision. That is all she really wanted to do."

Some kids are like that.

Z does not have just one thing she loves. She has so many things she likes (reading, science, foreign languages, gymnastics) but I think the thing she does most is sing and make up stories that turn into songs.

Sometimes I can image that she will be a singer/songwriter when she grows up (or earlier) but it is not all she wants to do. She has a lot of things that interest and inspire her.

It is interesting too that singing is not something I do with Z. I don't have a class for it. The only thing I do is make sure she has enough down time every day so she can make up her songs. Actually I also listen to them and record them and sometimes transcribe them. And, oh yeah, I also help her get ready for talent shows and get her voice lessons.

But there is nothing I can teach her at this point. All I can do is protect and encourage.

4 comments:

C's Learning Treasures said...

I love yet another of your posts:) You are doing such a terrific job with Z!

Garden State Kate said...

I love the last line the most,
"All I can do is protect and encourage"...so true!

L said...

That's a really valid point. If she really wants to do one thing for hours and hours every day then you support her in it and let her go as far as she wants or can, which is pretty much what you are doing right now. Except it's not piano only and for 3 hours a day but lots of different things for shorter amount of time. It's good to build a strong base and give her all the options, she is only 6. She will find her way when she is ready.

sarah said...

I think you are doing the right thing. It can be so hard sometimes. There was a time when all Kitty wanted to do was dance, so I let her take several classes a week, and she practiced at home too. I really thought she would be a dancer forever, and even started researching performing arts schools for the future. But she stopped enjoying it and that was a shock to me (although her teacher remained in a delusion about it, not wanting to let her go).

I wish now I had held back on some of those classes and encouraged her to do different things as well. I can imagine if she had danced for years and years and then lost the thrill, or hurt herself, or grown too tall, she'd have nothing else in her life. It's great when kids have a singular passion and they should be supported in that - AND encouraged to broaden their scope a little more too.

You are giving Z so many opportunities and such wonderful support, you are a great mom!