Friday, May 11, 2007

Friday

Every other Friday we drive down to our old neighborhood to visit some old friends.

After visiting with our friends we stop off at a great used bookstore. Today I bought her two science books and Bruno Bettelheim's Uses of Enchantment - The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales

Then Z went to a friend's birthday party and I got to hang out and chat with my friends.

It was a really nice day!

I also went through a lot of her non-fiction books and started thinking about next years curriculum. Is May to early to start hinking September?

5 comments:

sarah said...

I was going to say "it's never too early" ... and I do think that for many subjects this is true. But I also think there should be plenty of room for creating lessons based on the child's current interests, and they may change between now and then.

C's Learning Treasures said...

Sounds like a nice day:) I am already thinking about what O will do next too. As patience said, things can change by then, so I try to not to actually purchase until August.

Anonymous said...

I book marked the Bettelheim book. We have been exploring fairy tales all winter. We read and listened to a half a dozen stories. Citcat has a fair grasp on the plot of each story. I don't really know where to go from here. Some stories seem like they are too much for her age.

I read a book you might find interesting to skim entitled Heavy Words Lightly Thrown: The Reason Behind the Rhyme.

We read Little Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs. At some point we talked about the wolf. Last week, Citcat brought a version of Little Red Riding Hood to me pointed to the wolf and said (obviously quoting me) "The wolf is a symbol of danger." I guess she is listening to each and every off hand comment that I make. :)

Your day sounds very nice. Curriculum for next year? Good for you, I can't even seem to plan a week ahead.

Garden State Kate said...

As always, you give me ideas to grow.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

That is a very nice tradition.