Monday, May 07, 2007

Oh boy

What a day!

today we rode our bikes to piano, on the way Z sang a song and I just had to pull over and write down some of the lyrics


It isn't fun
always being the smart one

I just wanna be a regular girl
I want to be cool

I want to go to parties
I want to funk out of town
and dance all around.


she rhymed fun with one and town with around. and she used the word funk.

What do you think? About the content I mean... Is this a cry for help?

That is what I thought at first... but then I gave myself a good smack in the face.

Z just wants to have fun? Yeah right... The poor girl... she is so starved for excitement. This weekend she only went to a birthday party with a bounce house, slip and slide, snow cones, and dancing and hung out with ten year olds. Saturday she saw a concert and met up with a friend... and Oh yeah, last week she went to New York City. Poor Girl..

I realized that she is just being a normal kid at the moment, wanting to spend all her time playing and getting her funk on.

Today she homeschooled for 3 hours, watched Looney Tunes for an hour, played in her room for half and hour and then went bike riding, had a 45 min piano lesson, rode home in the beautiful sunshine and then went swimming with her four girls friends for an hour and half before dinner. Poor sad overworked child... ;P

But anyway... I did talk to her about what she wants to do for "fun". But I also mentioned that most kids her age are going to school for 6 hours a day and they don't get most Wednesday's and every other Friday and well, any day they feel like it, off.

She also made a song about a brave boy whom she "couldn't resist to steal and kiss

and a song about dancing:
"It's dancing that puts you in the mood
a happy face and happy attitude.

6 comments:

C's Learning Treasures said...

O sometimes says things out of the blue like that,for example he says he wishes he could just have a normal brain like everyone else and feel like everyone else does or that he sometimes feels like he's the only who thinks the way he does ect.. but these are rare compared to how many happy statements he makes.I think as long as the child is mostly talking about being happy then a few statements like that every once in while is ok? I feel for you though, I think O started being really aware of how different he was at just around 6.

Anonymous said...

You know she has a good life and lots of friends. She would let you know otherwise, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Hee Hee! This reminds me of so many things about V. I hardly know where to start. But to answer your question -- if the lyrics reveal anything I think it is just that she is processing who she is.

You know I think that being HG, etc., is really a totally different way of perceiving and interacting with the world. Even as an adult sometimes I wish I could turn it off -- it's a little intense, and I still get tired of being different. (Now that I am no longer in a university setting 24/7, where most of your colleagues are brilliant, I am back to being "the smart one" among my friends -- at age 37!)

I think it's greeat that she's working through it this way!

sarah said...

I answered this topic at Shaun's weblog - and now I might weblog about it a little myself.

I wonder if Z has picked up ideas outside of the house about "being smart" and "just having fun" and she is processing those. She's just been away for a week, who knows what old ladies have been saying to her?

Jaime said...

I just want to say that I think it is AWESOME that Z used "funk" in her lyrics :-) She's got a great life - you've give her the best possible circumstances. Hugs!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Very cute poem! I think sometimes with these kids that their writing reflects an ability to think beyond as well as within self, put in words what another person or self feels, and sometimes it is just creativity. I don’t think it would be a cause for concern unless there were other signs something was amiss.