Wednesday, May 09, 2007

shocking

Today Z had an extra piano lesson because she has a recital coming up in less then two weeks.

Near the end of her lesson another student arrived. I know this girl and her older sister. They are both at least highly gifted. The older sister is the one who wins all the piano competitions.

Well anyway, when the girl came in and she heard the Bach piece that Z was playing her mouth fell open in shock. "That is the piece my sister played last year at the Bach competition!"

Z's piano teacher acknowledged that it was the same song. The girl stood with her mouth hanging open, flabbergasted, and just stared at Z.

"How can she do that?" she asked.

"Because she is amazing." the teacher said with a smile.

And now I am amazed too.

The teacher originally wanted Z play this Bach piece for the Bach competition that is coming up but I told her a couple months ago that I didn't want Z to compete it in. It is hard to imagine that Z would play the same piece at six that this other girl played at nine.

Z was all beaming afterward (she had registered the other girl's awe at her playing that piece). Z said "That piece must be really hard if N played it."

And her teacher said "Yes it is a level four piece."

Now I am curious what level four is...

5 comments:

sarah said...

Wow, what a lovely thing to hear. Z is so multi-talented, I can appreciate your stress about doing the right thing for her and not following up on all her talents incase she burns out or it gets too stressful for her. Especially after the acting business. And yet, on the other hand, wanting to follow up on things incase that is where her true future lies. Does Z want to do the performance? Does she feel comfortable about it?

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Congratulations to Z! It sounds like she is doing well.

C's Learning Treasures said...

Ditto to Z being multi-talented!

Cher Mere said...

Patience

Z does want to do the recital coming up. She really enjoys performing in front of an audience.

But I am still glad she isn't doing the competition. It is just too much at the moment.

I am just surprised to think that Z is that advanced in piano. Her teacher is always so vague. She just says stuff like "Zoe has ability" and "Z is talented" but that doesn't really tell me much.

Even now all I know is that Z might be more advanced than I thought.

Even if she had done the Bach competition and, at six, played the same song another HG+ girl played at nine that doesn't mean that much. Z would have had to practice A LOT, and maybe that girl only practiced a little. So I can't really compare Z to her.

But I guess I kind of get why her teacher wants her to compete.

Sucero Family said...

Wow! What Bach piece is she playing? Did she choose the piece herself?
PS