Thursday, January 18, 2007

to my lovely friends

I hear you all. Trust me. I am about to make some changes for the better. I told Pere last night that my job is to make all these big and little decisions and I feel like everything I do (or don't do) with Z either supports or harms her.

He did remind me that it has only been this week that she has had such frequent auditions. Usually it is only two a week. He reminded me that having an audition everyday will probably only last for a couple weeks. And then it will be back to normal.

He agreed with me though that if this keeps up Z's life will be out of balance ad we won't continue it.

So right now we are in a wait and see mode.

I have another post to write about soon about how I confronted Z's piano teacher and got her to agree that Z only has to practice 30 min a day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My "real-life" friends and I have had many conversations about overscheduling and too many good things to do. My advice has always been to be guided by the good of the family (i.e., one person doesn't get to dominate the family, especially since we have two children) and the behavior of the child. I have had a few friends say "he says he wants to do all these things!" but then the child is exhausted and acting out. I sympathize -- I give myself a big pile of "good things" to do and then wonder why I'm overwhelmed. Even adults struggle with saying, "Hmm, this activity is really fun, but I'd best not." Not long ago I was out more nights than I was home. So I see figuring that out as a parent's job, regardless of how a kid rates the activity.
But, if the child seems happy and adequately rested, I think you can let him/her (and your own happiness!) be your guide.
Just my 2 cents!