Thursday, January 25, 2007

First commercial

So for those of you who are interested I will describe Z's (and my) first commercial job experience.

Part 1

Well I was a bit nervous last night that I would forget something in my hurry in the morning so I didn't sleep well last night. So when five-thirty rolled around I was bleary-eyed and kind of fuzzy in the brain but no less awake. I did manage to get everything I need and I arrive at our destination at 6:30 a.m..

Our first destination was a church parking lot. Since the shoot was at a local residence they had to find a nearby place for everyone involved to park. It was still dark out and about 45 degrees outside where they were serving a catered breakfast.

The chef was making made to order omelets, pancakes with fresh blueberries, chorizo and fried potatoes and more. They also had bacon and oatmeal and yogurt and granola and cereal and fresh fruit and bagels and lox and coffee and juice,etc It was great!

Z and I stood around a heater and munched for awhile until a guy came over to me to say that we were an hour early. !!! (You mean I didn't have to get up at 5:30~!) In my defense I was actually given at sheet with the time to arrive highlighted at it was six. I guess I was just supposed to know that really means 7:30. :P

Part 2

A little before eight a.m. Z and I and four other children with their parent's took a van over to the shoot site. The part of the commercial that Z is in took place in the back yard.

First we were taken to a trailer where Z got changed into her wardrobe and got her hair done. She had fun doing that.

While she was getting ready I talked with some of the producers. One said to me privately these words which are still ringing in my ears:

"Z is really"good. She is a natural. You can give her direction and she can just do it. And she comes off really real, you know, some other kids, I don't know, maybe they have taken too many acting classes.... but Z plays it very real. She's great."

He said it in this very serouis and almost urgent way, like it was something I should really know and believe. I am still digesting that.

Part 3

Then we are taken to the "school" site, which is in a neighboring house's backyard. We met the site teacher who looks more like one of the crew or maybe a surfer.

There I found out that the little boy E is a "principle" like Z (speaking role.) Another boy is E's back-up and the other two, a little boy and a little girl are the principles, stand-ins. It never occurred to me that Z would have a stand in.

These kids do background work and so they get paid less. Their job today is to get into the position that Z and E will be in. They stand in their spot while the camera people figure out how to frame the shot. Then when it is time to film the principle comes in and takes their place.

Part 4

Z is filmed. She says her line over and over and over and add about 37 more overs. I think they did so many shoots because after Z's line her actor "dad" had to hit a golf ball a certain way. The directors kept giving him different direction but they were not asking Z to change.

I had a weird moment when the hairdresser who was hovering next to Z, just off screen the whole time to fix any fly aways,ran over to me and asked "Does Z like room temperature water or cold water?" I thought 'Jeez! What ever water you give her is fine and why are you running around to get her water anyway?" But I answered "Room temperature" and just kind of marveled.

When that was over we had more food from a different caterer. Then the kids played games with the site teacher for a couple hours.

Then they brought the stand-ins back and set up the frame while Z and E were fitted with mikes. Then Z had three or four more lines and that time it was really quick and then the day was over.

Z made over $500 for her time today and will make residuals every time the commercial is played. It is a national commercial so you might see it. It is for golfing equipment so they will definitely play it during golf national gold tournaments.

I was surprised when she was also given the shoes, socks, jeans, shirt and sweater that were her wardrobe as well as two extra outfits they had brought along for her.

Part 5

Then I had to open up a special child actor bank account/trust for Z.

Z created quite a stir with the women at the bank. She talked to them about homeschooling and taking Japanese and they were so excited they had her walk around and say "I like strawberries" in Japanese to several different ladies at their desks. Then before we left they gave her a big stuffed animal...

It must be nice to be Z. *wry grin*

Epilogue

I talked on the phone a lot today. I talked to my Mere twice, Pere about 5 times, his Mere and Pere each twice, a friend once and Z's agency four times and also with the wardrobe director of her next commercial.

Yep, Z just booked another national commercial as well as their print ad. And she also booked a radio commercial. So she is "working" a short time Monday to record the commercial, then probably all day Tuesday for the commercial and then Thursday for the same company's print ad.

My Mere asked me if I was over-whemed but really I am not.

Now that I have done this once I know what to do to make it a better experience next time. Mainly I am going to bring her homeschooling stuff with us so she doesn't end up playing Connect Four and Uno for two hours. And next time I'll double check exactly what time I am supposed to show up.

And also my new dishwasher came into today. So it's all good.

4 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

That is very interesting.

My husband will probably see the commercial on the golf channel! He golfs too. So, I am sure the reason she had to repeat her lines was due to the golfing:)

Jaime said...

Cool! That sounds like such a neat experience! So, does this answer your questions from a few days ago? Is it worth it?

So now I have to take up watching golf on TV, huh? :-D

Shaun said...

Wow, that is quite an experience. I can see where the "child actor syndrome" could happen if people are asking you whether you like your water cold or room temp and piling clothes on you just for a commercial! You and Z. both have great attitudes about it.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading the day in five parts. I kept it up on my screen and returned to it a couple of times while cleaning. I liked the format. I am happy for Z and all the great opportunities.

I agree that it is sad that people put their children in school just to get a break from them.