Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Homeschool explosion

I mean that in a good way! :)

Yesterday was our first day back to homeschooling and I was so excited that we homeschooled for more than 4 hours! (plus two hour long classes)

Here is what our day looked like:

Yoga – 15 min.
Reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince – 20 min.
Wrote book log of books she has read 10 min
Playdate with C - 1 hr
Math – 15 minutes
Piano practice – jumping octave with right hand while playing scale and triad with left hand, playing scale, triad and albierto traid with two hands all at once, practiced song Musette, 40 minutes
History – Reading – the World of Shakespeare 10 min
Vocabulary words – playwright, poet, folio, relevant, sonnet, approximate, slubber, lustihood, welkin - including typing 2 words and looking them up on dictionary.com 20 minutes
Japanese - 15 min. vocabulary – nouns
Science – Reading ABC’s of Ecology by Issac Asimov 30 min.
Piano 1 hr
Free Play 40 min
Gymnastics 1 hr
Reading 3 Serendipity books 20 min

I figured today we would do less but somehow we still put in 4 hours of homeschooling plus an hour long gymnastics class.

Tomorrow is park day though so I am thinking she will only have time for piano.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I see! I had been wondering how you pack so much into your day. I wish we could do math -- or anything -- for 15 minutes, so we could do more in a day. We tend to do everything for a very long time, in part because Violet can just be rather slow and dreamy about whatever she is doing. I have been thinking that since we have a "block" approach to subjects maybe we should not try to do so many of them every day.

I should really experiment with shorter blocks of math, Chinese, etc. and see how Violet responds. History is kind of up to her; honestly I try to get her to write short, boring responses to history readings, but she likes to play around with them.

Anyway, thanks for posting all that! I love to see how people organize their time. I feel like I have a lot to learn!

Anonymous said...

Ooops, what I mean is, maybe we should not do a given subject every day if we are going to do it for such a long time on one day.

Cher Mere said...

Hi Shaun

Somedays math can take up to an hour. Usually it takes about 30 minutes.

Z would like to do everything for at least a half an hour. Sometimes I let her and sometimes I move her along, depending on what I feel like we need to get done that week.