Tuesday, January 09, 2007

feeling giddy

Recently I met a woman who has a gifted and talented 8 year old who is doing acting, dance and just started opera. I was excited to hear about the opera since I have heard that opera singing gives the best training and so far we haven't had much luck with Z's voice teachers.

I called the lady yesterday and took Z to meet her this morning. The teacher M is a beautiful older Russian woman with an amazing voice. First she asked Z to sing her a song and Z sang Castle On A Cloud from Les Miserables. The teacher was really impressed. She said that usually that song is for 10 and 12 year olds and that it is amazing that Z could sing it but also that she could even remember all the words. (I didn't mention that Z first learned it about 2 years ago.)

Then she tested Z's range and her breathing and at the end she said that Z is "more than ready" to start lessons with her.

She also said to Z "You are my present! ... ah, to hear such a voice..."

She was so impressed with Z (and Z realy did very little) that I am feeling a kind of vicarious high. *grin*

I am really glad that Z is getting another chance at voice lessons because I feel like singing is one of her greatest passions.

In that vein I am also thinking I should put a hold on gymnastics for awhile and let Z take some dance classes again. I just feel like so many schools get serious with kids so early and want the girls, even at a very young age, to commit enormous amounts of time to dance and most of the girls go ahead and do that because dance is their "thing." But for Z dance would be just one part of her performing arts curriculum. So I am still on the look out for the right school for dance.

1 comment:

Cher Mere said...

Hi Sarah

Thanks for the support. I do need to find a good ballet class. I might send her back to the one she was going to last year but it is really a drive for me.

As for being a stage mother... well if people are inclined to find something bad to think about me I am sure they will find something regardless of what classes Z is taking, KWIM?

I don't know if I would want her to go to a performing arts school. You know, I almost did.

At this point I do think much about Z's future (high school, college) except that I want to give her many options and I feel like a PA school might limit college choices.