Sunday, January 07, 2007

Expectations - follow up

For J

I think I do "push" Z in some ways and I think it is definitely necessary. But I try to push her while still "holding her hand", if you know what I mean. When I push her I do it with the idea in mind that I am helping her develop those skills in herself.

Z is funny in some ways. She is a very outgoing and, in many ways, brave kid. But there are some things that she is afraid of, usually for no good reason. And I think pushing her to try new things and not letting her fears keep her from experiencing something worthwhile are doing her a service. She was very afraid to ride a bike, but I kept pushing her and once she got it she was in love. She told me she was going to write a book about bike riding even. :) And she wanted to ride every day. I knew that she would love riding her bike so I felt it was the right thing to do to insist she keep working at it.

Same thing with swmming, and now swimming is one of her favorite things.

I will also gently push or remind her of commitments she has made, like you do in ice skating. I think at our girl's age that is part of our responsibiity. Z doesn't have to take piano lessons but if she wants lessons and I agree to pay or them and drive her to and fro then she needs to practice.

This leads me to my next topic.

For Sarah

I really do need to have a talk with Z's piano teacher about what her expectations are for Z. I think she is a great teacher and Z loves her so I am loathe to upset the apple cart. But I have obviously had concerns for awhile about the amount of practicing she expects from Z.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting. It sounds like we take a similar approach to the "pushing." I just try to remember to only push when it is to help her reach HER goals, not mine... or at least the goals I think she has. LOL