Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Swimming * Cleaning * King Arthur

Yesterday we went to a new friends house for a pool party. Poor Z was so cold her tiny body was racked with shivers. I am sure some of you can picture it. *grin* Finally she ended up just sitting on the edge of the pool in the sun watching the other girls swim around. I felt kind of sorry for her. But she insisted she didn't want to leave. Soon the other girls bailed out and they all jumped rope together.

Today we had a friend over to our, warmer, pool. The girls were playing some make-believe game and kept calling out asking the strangest questions.

"Is Britian the same as England?"

"Is Wales near the ocean? Which ocean?"

"Do they speak English in Wales?"

"Can an orphan move out of an orphanage at sixteen?"

At dinner time she told me the story was about an orphan traveling to her home in Wales via submarine...

*****

I am be cleaning. Well, more like putting things in bags to give away. That counts as cleaning right? I have over a dozen bags of books, half a dozen of clothes and a few of videotapes. I amost feel like I should get rid of all my videotapes as we pretty much only watch DVD's. But as you will read below, they have their uses.

Next week, because I am not going to have any time until next week, I plan to go through Z's dresser and toys. I know it is going to be difficult. I am pretty sentimental but Z thinks old pajamas are mementos...

******

Today we finally finished reading King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table. Then we watched a DVD of Excalibur I picked up from Blockbuster. I had her close her eyes during the nude scenes but otherwise there was nothing too objectionable... except for the whole INCEST bit with Morgana and Arthur. ewww.

Also the DVD skipped and froze up on us just as Percival (and not Sir Bedivere) went to throw Excalibur back into the lake. I was so annoyed. Luckily I have a videotape of the movie so we were able to finish watching it.

But anyway, while Excalibur is a very cool movie Z agreed that the book was way way better. Maybe when she is older she will want toread Mallory's Le Morte D'Arthur.

This was the first time I had ever read all the stories. I had read about Tristam, Gawain, Galahad, the search for the Grail, Launcelot, etc. But this story really had a lot more to it. Also Z remembers the names of everyone and what they did a lot better than I do and we both just read it... I feel so old.

5 comments:

sarah said...

This is one of the wonderful benefits of homeschooling - our children can read such classics. I was never exposed to King Arthur, let alone Malory, until I went to university! I can imagine why Z would enjoy the movie and the stories, she is such a zesty child.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Neat. I agree with Patience's observation.

I still haven't touched Ami's bedroom yet. I am still recovering from how long it took.

C's Learning Treasures said...

You are very busy,I know I need to be organizing but haven't got up the gumption to do that yet:(

You expose Z to such a variety of learning,that's great!

Garden State Kate said...

I am always amazed at the things you do! Good luck cleaning...I have been putting it off- P also considers pajamas "keepers".lol

Jaime said...

LOVE the questions! LOL