Monday, August 27, 2007

A great life wherever we go

A lot of you know that I feel like I already lead a very good life. A great life even. We have family here. Pere has a very good job with a boss he likes working for. Z has so many good friends and wonderful teachers. I have friends too and access to a lot of cool homeschooling resources.

Yeah, we couldn't really afford to buy a house (only a townhouse or condo), but in a couple more years we would have been able to do that too.

So what am I thinking to move away from the great life I was living?

Well, when we went to S.B. this summer we all really felt like it was a very special place. We tried to imagine the kind of life we could live there. We were realistic about it. We didn't imagine anything too much, just being able to afford a house with a yard for Z to play in and garden. We knew that Pere would be able to work from home again which is good for many reasons. We would have a good library, and farmer's market, and even our favorite brand of beer.

And of course we would get to be around my family. I haven't really lived with my sister since I was 11 and she was 19, except one summer when I lived with her in Hawaii when I was 15. My sister and I, despite our age differences and different lives really have a lot in common. And when I found out I was pregnant with Z my sister was the first person I called.

Also her boys are so good and sweet and funny. She did a great job raising them. The younger boy (a junior in highschool) is still at home and is so incredible with Z. *sigh* He really is such a sweetheart. Z cried so hard when we left him earlier this summer. This time she wrote him a sad letter.

And then there are my parents. I used to live close them in Florida and would come to my father's karate dojo twice a week. My dad and I are close and I am really looking forward to having him in my life and also for Z is get to be close to him too. My mom loves to cook from scratch and sew and read. We like a lot of the same movies and books and activites. I have always said that my Mere, Pere and Z are like my own "holy trinity". And she is so devoted to Z. Both she and my sister were doing little "happy dances" this weekend everytime Pere and I got s step closer to moving there.

So while I know Pere and I are the kind of people that will make a great life for ourselves where ever we go we all feel that S.B. has many special qualities that make us excited to try a life there, not in the least of which is our family.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really happy for you -- this sounds great. I know what you mean about family. I sometimes ask my DH if he'd want to move back to Michigan to be closer to his family -- because I think *the girls and I* would really enjoy the benefits!! Sounds like family will add a lot to your quality of life.

Garden State Kate said...

Sounds very nice, and I do not doubt that you would make it beautiful wherever you decided to "plant yourself". :-)

C's Learning Treasures said...

That's really great,I think it will be very special for Z too:)

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

It sounds like every thing is going well!

We left CA four years ago to be closer to family and it was a great decision.