Monday, August 13, 2007

my sweety

Z and I have been getting along great recently. Actually we usually do. She is a very affectionate child and I am happy to share cuddles and lovey sentiments as long as I can get them. She is growing up all too soon for my tastes.

I have really been feeling her "bigness" recently. She is so long and gangly. And sometimes, especailly regarding her sense of humor, she seems so mature.

I realize I have been trying to go back in time with her recently, or at least hold on to what little time I have left of her being... little. I am reading her this book about a four year old British boy named Sprout who rides a tricycle to his morning preschool, collects stuffed animal elephants and likes to hide in weird places and worry his mom. I know it is young for her but it also has that particular British humor that is delightful at any age. Happily for me Z seems to enjoy these stories.

We are also rereading My Naughty Little Sister by Dorothy Edwards. These harmless and charming stories are probably set in the 1940. They are well written and clever of course but there is also something interesting about reading the liberties and freedoms kids had back in those days. Little children did a lot of things on their own that we can't allow our children to do these days. I really enjoy these books myself.

On her own Z is rereading Order of the Phoenix, Bunnicula, The Good Fairy/Bad Fairy book and her new book of poetry.

Today we have no plans and are just hanging about the house.

So far I have done a full load of laundry, scrubbed both bathrooms and the kitchen floor, scrubbed kitchen counters (I even moved all the appliances an stuff away and scrubbed underneath), vacuumed, read I Love Math with Z and played The Game of Life with her.

Z made her bed, made up a song, practiced piano, did I Love Math, played with magnetics, played with LEGOs and played The Game of Life.

6 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Thank you for writing this, what a lovely post. I know the feeling. And good luck with the cleaning.

My kitchen is the next stop specifically the cupboards. This year, I may get to my dreaded closet as was my resolution. I like to have it clean before the holidays.

Cher Mere said...

I just took 18 bags of books and 8 bags of clothes to Goodwill! It is great to get rid of stuff!

C's Learning Treasures said...

I need to clean now;-)

I loved your post,I think I will always think of O as my baby,even when he's 30:0

sarah said...

I sometimes find myself trying to push Rose back to her younger self. I miss the great big eyes and great big questions. She indulges me in this for a couple of weeks but then I have to start treating her like a Big Girl again ;-)

Anonymous said...

My Naughty Little Sister sounds interesting. I bookmarked it. I know what you mean about the freedom children had in the past to explore and have adventures. I still had a bit of it when I was a child. We played in the woods, chatted up the neighbors and ran about from sun up to sun down. It is hard to imagine allowing Citcat such freedom.

As a Goodwill shopper, I have to say thanks for donating all those books.

My kitchen counters could use a good Soft Scrub cleaning. Maybe today?

Garden State Kate said...

LOL, I feel it too, and P is only just about to hit 5(!).
We did a bit of scrubbing today before we started cooking...now my kitchen needs another one,lol.