Tuesday, October 24, 2006

writing curriculum

For Jaime

Well we have only had one day of writing curriculum. *grin* So I am not really sure yet how I am going to end up teaching it.

Right now when she writes in her "journal" I do not correct it although if she wants to know the spelling of something I tell her. The focus of the journal is for her to learn how to get her thoughts onto paper. As she gets better at that I think she will also be better at spelling and punctuation.

For the copywork quote we are just focusing on handwriting, printing, for now. I sit right with her when she is doing that I encourage her to have her best handwriting. If she started being sloppy she would need to erase. I am keeping the writing here short so she doesn't have a tired hand.

We work on cursive separately. She is not ready yet to write everything in cursive.

She has a grammar book that has five problems to do each day. She needs to have perfect grammar, spelling, etc in that because that is the point of it. For that she is usually only writing five sentences.

I also correct her sometimes when she is writing for other things (science, geography, etc) but I don't all the time. It just depends on how much time we have.

Really I think that she is going to learn the most from just reading, reading, reading.

No comments: