Thursday, October 26, 2006

Free Day

Today I decided to have a “free” day and I told Z she could do whatever she wanted after piano this morning.

My friend Sarah has inspired me with her free unschooly day and I realize that Z and I haven’t had one of those in awhile, where we weren’t also doing something like packing or moving or unpacking or traveling or going on an audition, etc. I felt it was time she had a “school day” where she just hung about and did her own thing.

So the first thing she does is take out her script for her new Shakespeare play (they got scripts at yesterday’s class) and read The Taming of the Shrew over breakfast. Each kid has to pick five characters they want to play – Z wants to be Katharina, Bianca, Petruchio, Lucentio, or Pendant. I am thinking she is not going to get the first four. *wink* I am hoping that during her reading she will find some other characters she will be happy being.

While Z is doing her thing I am going to read through my “gifted” bookmarks. I find that it is helpful to re-read a lot of that information as Z ages because different things apply to us at different stages.

I am also going to sit in my gliding chair by the window and watch the birds and squirrels.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you guys! At first I thought -- why don't we take more free days -- but it occurs to me that I send my girls off for free afternoons with the babysitter all the time. I'm the one who needs an unschool day!

Hope Z. enjoys her play.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Well, I saw your response to Forte after I wrote my first one but then the post was gone when I wanted to respond. I had written you something but hopefully you realize now how they were wrong to generalize.