Saturday, October 21, 2006

testing our kids

One of our neighbors is an grandmother and has a 6 year old granddaughter that Z sometimes plays with. Last spring when our neighbor broke her wrist Z brought her mail in to her for about 6 weeks.

Well today our neighbor's mother (who is 91!) came to visit and they called for Z to come over. I sent my husband over with her.

Apparently my neighbor had Z read from a kids book (that was well below her reading level - a book she had around for her own granddaughter) to her elderly mother. Z sat next to the 91 year old lady and read, very loudly since the lady is hard of hearing, and the lady asked her if she knew what certain words meant, like "queen."

Then they asked Z to write her name and write the first names of the ladies.

Then they had her draw some pictures. Finally Z almost made the older woman almost faint by reading from the newspaper.

Then they gave her some candy and sent her back home.

2 comments:

Cher Mere said...

Hi Sarah

I think it is weird. But not totally unexpected. I remember some people doing that to me when I was a kid.

And since the ladies in question are very old I figure they genuinely amazed (perhaps they don't get out much.) My neighbor told me that she had told her mom all about Z.

But I wouldn't want people treating Z like that on a regular basis.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I have observed elderly do this with Ami. It doesn’t really bother me because I truly think they are interested and not malicious and it doesn't happen often because we don't live near elderly. If I had homeschooled, I had planned to find a nice elderly lady to visit through an assisted living facility because some elderly adults enjoy the company of well-behaved, conversational children.

On the other hand, I am uneasy with adults trying to test a child or one up them. I would not tolerate that type of situation if that occurs.