Saturday, October 07, 2006

Cooking

Z has gotten into cooking recently. She even listed it as one of her interests when I had to update her profile with Davidson.

since we have moved I have let her cut up some watermelon with a sharp knife. Pere taught her how to peel carrots and parsnips. She has used the measuring cup and spoons. Today she stirred up a brownie mix and poured it into a baking dish and was excited to get to lick the spoon.

She has also been making her own sandwiches but she already knew how to do that. But since we have moved the things in the pantry that she uses - bread, peanut butter, honey - are lower and she can reach them. She can also get her own plate down from the cabinet and gets her veggies from the fridge.

Z has been interested in watching Pere and I cook. Pere tends to cook more complicated meals and has been talking her through everything that he does and why. She even came home from a play date next door last weekend so she could be with him and "help" cook lamb stew. Today they made Thai red curry.

I think I should come up with a few meals that she might, with training, be able to make all by herself.

************

I can't beleive what I did today! I went through every piece of paper in the house, about six filing cabinet drawers, and decided whether I needed it or not and threw out more than three big boxes of papers. It feels so amazing!. I was throwing out reciepts from before Z was born!

I decided when we moved that I was not going to put anything away until I was sure I wanted it and then I had to put it away in "it's place."

This morning I went through boxes I have of Z's baby clothes and figured out what I wanted to keep for this quilt I want to make and what I can take to the local children's consignment boutique. I went through all my sewing supplies and threw out some notions and packed up the rest in one of those large tupperware-like boxes.

*************

Before lunch our neighbor's daughter S knocked on the door and asked if we wanted to come with them to the mall. Our local mall just doubled in size and got a lot of good shops (like the Apple store). It also got a really beautiful two story carousel. Remember all those carousel's that Z went on in France?

This carousel is really beautiful. They have zebras, gorillas, giant hummingbirds, sea dragons, dolphins and more to ride on. Z picked an ostrich on ont second floor.

They also have a new crepe place, with both savory and sweet crepes and gelato!

The mall is about 7 or 8 blocks away from our home. I am picturing us walking down there and having some crepes and a ride on the carousel. :)


No comments: