Friday, October 20, 2006

Audition and Opera

Everytime Z auditions with an adult actor, usually a woman playing her mom in a commercial, the woman comes to find me afterwards and tells me how great Z was.

I figured they were just being courteous. So today when Z came out of the audition and the adult actress came over to me and said "She was so amazing!" I said, with a wry grin, "I feel like that is something you guys say to all the kid's moms."

"No!" she assured me. "I've worked with a lot of kids and she is _really_ good!"

hmmm

So that was kind of cool. :)

On the way to coffee this morning Z was singing and I managed to write down some of the words she sang

1st song
I'm not just crying wolf
I need to know that you care
I need to know that you are really there

Then she told me it was about a woman who had lost her daughter. In the next song she goes to her ex-husband and asks for him to help her look (in song) and he accused her of not even wanting a child in the first place and then they had a fight about whether it was the woman's daughter or the man's daughter i.e. who got to make the decisions about her.

Here are some lyrics from that one - they were sung very loud and punctuated. It got into the reasons why they broke up. She felt he was always just doing the opposite of whatever she asked.

2nd song
I guess that is why we left each other!
We have our differences!
You're right, she is MY child!

but then she had a reprise where the man said of course he would help look for the daughter

the third song was from the little girl's point of view. First she sings operetta style - sing talking

I'm lost
I'm scared
I don't know what to do.
I was just picking berries
and I went further in

breaks into real singing

Now I am lost in the heart of the woods!
My voice doesn't even echo.


Then we got to coffee.

She told me how the rest of it goes. The mother and father find a farmer who lives on the edge of the woods and he leads them in to find their daughter and he ties a string to a tree on the outside and ties more strings along the path, so they can find their way out.

I don't know where she gets this stuff. I swear that Pere and I are not fighting or saying anything like that. It is weird but still cool.

1 comment:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

That it is exciting that other actors express that Z is really good. I think a lot of adult artistic people have the capacity to accept a child at face value for their talent. My initial impression is that these are sincere compliments of Z’s ability.

Z’s songs are very interesting and clever!