Friday, July 27, 2007

Visuals

For Language Arts I am doing Classical Writing Aesop that I wrote about HERE. But instead of Aesop I will use Beatrix Potter Tales. With it I will cover grammar, vocabulary, spelling, comprehension, writing and handwriting. Here are some vocabulary words from The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies - soporific, improvident, sufficiently, profusely, resourceful, decayed, and enquired. Hopefully these stories will work well, If not I will have to find something more advanced.

We will spend 30 minutes a day on language arts.



Here is but one of the poetry books we will use. Z loves poetry.


I am going to use this book to figure out what grammar I should be using while implementing the classical writing method.


We do a lot of science. This is a really cool book my sister bought Z. Our plan is to read it and make a card or board game from the info we have learned. We will spend 30 minutes a day on science.










Once a week we will do an experiment from this book.


an example of an experiment


another science book we will be using


examples from inside


it is pretty meaty


We will still be using this book for art. Once a week Z will do her own art project giving an example of the term we have learned about. This might be 30 - 60 minutes depend on what she wants to do as a project.


example from inside the book


Here are some of the books she might be reaing for our home "bookclub", if we don't do it with the homeschool group.




I got this book last year for history. We didn't use it much. Maybe we can incorporate it this year.


example of inside


My plan for history is to read biographies of famous people from the Renaissance time period as well as defining key terms. I wrote about it HERE. We are probably going to do history for 30 min a day 4 times a week.




Z liked this geography work book.



And this book which is pretty funny. Geography will be 15 - 20 min twice a week.


It has some illustrated portions that are like a comic


We will keep up her Japanese but I am not sure what we will be using. Our Japanese teacher is moving back to Japan in a few weeks. I would like to find another teacher but if not I will do the best I can on my own. We will probably do Japanese twice a week.

Z will still be doing 30 minutes of piano a day. 15 minutes in the morning and 15 in the evening.

For P.E. she has gymnastics once a week plus plenty of informal swimming, bike riding, yoga, etc.

Other classes she will take are voice and Shakespeare. She doesn't really formally practice for them as she sings all the time anyway and the acting also comes easily.

This is pretty much what we did last year. The classes that I teach are between breakfast and lunch (except the 15 mins of evening piano practice.) Then her classes are in the afternoon (piano, voice, gymnastics, and Shakespeare) - they total 4 hours a week and are all very close to our home so the travel time is negligible. That leaves her about 6 hours of free time a day (not counting meals or reading in bed at night.) I feel pretty good about that and about the quality of her education. *smiles*

5 comments:

Garden State Kate said...

OOoooh, Those books look so nice,
I'm going to have to write them down
for future reference!

C's Learning Treasures said...

I love your books!! Some look a little familiar *wink*. I wish Scholastic would make fun books for highschoolers,unfortunately most of their really cool books don't go past 8th grade:(

It sounds like a fun year ahead!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

We have a lot of the same books in our home collection. I even have the same copy of Black Beauty.

I like your photographs of the books. It shows how colorful and interesting they are as well as why using a literature based curriculum is so wonderful for the child.

Ami's copy of Beatrix Potter was the deluxe edition. Each story has an introductory history; quite a few stories occur in real places or are adapted from real events. When she finished it and the Other Alice she wanted to go to England to find the places in the books. Someday, we will have to take her.

L said...

I love the science books. I think I will add them to my wish list. They may make great Christmas presents.

What's the name of the geography workbook? D would be thrilled if I got him one?

Anonymous said...

I love the visuals. Images of books always excite me. Your plans sound very realistic and interesting. I'm glad you linked back to the Language Arts and History lessons you wrote in June. I missed a whole lot in June. Good stuff. I like the plan for the language arts.

I just read a wonderful book (suggested by Kate) entitled A Sip of Aesop which is poetry about the tales by Jane Yolen. If you do Aesop again you might like to add this book.

I bookmarked the Buzz book. It looks interesting.