Tuesday, June 12, 2007

some Language Arts ideas

So I am going to try Classical Writing Aesop with Z. I looked at their message boards and it says that the it is for 3rd - 6th. Their "Homer" series isn't until middle school.

This is how it works.

Day 1
You pick a piece of classic writing like a myth, fable, fairy tale, etc. Your student reads the whole piece. You note the title, the original historical setting, why it might have been written, what was the message and any additional background. Discuss the characters, plot, action, outcome, moral issues. Note something good and bad about the literature.

Day 2
Spelling, Dictionary Skills
Pick our spelling words from the piece - students can copy them or have them dictated.
Then from the piece choose vocabulary words and look them up in a dictionary, noting their root words (Latin or Greek?)

Day 3
Grammar
Use a passage from the piece to implement the grammar you are studying. For example - subjects and predicates, direct quotes, adverbial conjunctions, etc
So if you were trying to teach verbs you could have the student pick out all the obvious verbs. Make three columns and list the verbs under their types: Action, Being, and State. Also you might mark off 10 - 12 words from the passage and ask the student which part of speech they are.

For grammar I am going to use Everything You Need to Know About English Homework 4th - 6th grade" and apply it in this way.

Day 4
Copywork and/or Dictation
Just work at the student's level here. I am going to try dictation with Z.


This curriculum also recommends setting aside another 30 minutes a day for writing projects. I am not sure what I am going to do for writing yet. Z will be working on our homeschool newspaper that I am creating with the kids.

4 comments:

sarah said...

I like that a lot. Thank you for the food for thought.

Forte said...

That sounds neat! With our crazy schedule though, I am not sure wed be able to do it every day! Do you think that would be amenable to every other day? (You know...put some of the stuff together?) :)
Forte

Garden State Kate said...

I like that idea.

Cher Mere said...

Forte

I am sure you can do it however you want to!

What I like about it is how you are applying the language arts curriculum to classic literature.