Monday, June 11, 2007

testing

So this morning I decided to give Z some end of year tests to see where she is in Language Arts. I found this site for K12 placement tests and I tested her on reading comprehension and language skills.

For reading comprehension I started with 5th grade but it was too easy. So I gave her the highest test they have, which is for 8th grade, and she got all but one right on that. So I don't really know where she is on that...

She also got two tests for Language Skills (grammar). The first one was too hard. The second one was right on the money and that was for 5th grade.

Then on another site I did a spelling placement test and she placed 4th grade.

So, it is like I thought, math and spelling (both 4th grade) are her relatively weakest subjects.

It was surprising in a way because I usually underestimate what Z is really doing. I thought spelling and grammar would be 3rd grade... I haven't really taught her much of either, so what she learned she mostly figured out on her own.

But still the questions on the tests did seem really easy and I am not sure I believe that that is really the level regular school kids are working at. I mean they said that Z could be taking Literary Analysis and Composition...

Other than testing Z did two sessions of EPGY math, half an hour of piano, a chapter from King Arthur, had lunch with her Pere, and then played at the park with her friends for 3 hours. Now she is in the bath tub banging on stuff. :)

11 comments:

sarah said...

It shocks me how simplistic the public school works seems. But when I talk to teachers about what they are doing, they make it sound really complex. So I don't know what to believe.

Whatever the case may be, Z's results are impressive.

Cher Mere said...

I know what you mean Patience.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Congratulations to you and Z.

I am not sure how accurate the assessments are either. My sister and I talked privately on the phone tonight about our particular situation and we concluded either it is amazing or scary.

Forte said...

LOL! We took the CAT for First Grade this Spring, for HS reporting... Yeah. Should've re thought that...
I reported Grace as 1st, because that's where she left off in PS, ironically. I have no idea how to tell them "what grade level" she's in. She isn't in a "grade level".
That said, she placed solidly in third for many subjects we tested her for in order to place her for next year. I don't want to put her where she really places (more like 4-6th) So that we can fill holes. She's VERY out of sync on her stuff, so I just want a middle ground.
Z's results are VERY impressive! I sure hope you're looking at Highschool stuff for the next few years! She sounds like she'll whiz through that pretty quickly and need something more!
Forte

Forte said...

LOL! We took the CAT for First Grade this Spring, for HS reporting... Yeah. Should've re thought that...
I reported Grace as 1st, because that's where she left off in PS, ironically. I have no idea how to tell them "what grade level" she's in. She isn't in a "grade level".
That said, she placed solidly in third for many subjects we tested her for in order to place her for next year. I don't want to put her where she really places (more like 4-6th) So that we can fill holes. She's VERY out of sync on her stuff, so I just want a middle ground.
Z's results are VERY impressive! I sure hope you're looking at Highschool stuff for the next few years! She sounds like she'll whiz through that pretty quickly and need something more!
Forte

Cher Mere said...

Mariposa

Knowing what little I do about Ami I am certain she would place very far ahead.

In our case it is just where Z should be given when she started down this road.

Cher Mere said...

Hi Forte


LOL. I am definitely not thinking about high school yet. Don't scare me!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I think Z is amazing as well as the things you do with her.

My sister and I think the local public school, my district, allows moderately gifted, even some mildly gifted to coast.

C's Learning Treasures said...

Wow,she is doing great! It always surprises me how much these kids seem to pass over levels. It can get very expensive if you've already purchased books at a lower level, only to realize your child is much further along;-)

L said...

Those are very impressive results. Z is a very smart girl and of course she has the right support from you.

Garden State Kate said...

I don't know much about the testing aspect, but I find Z quite
impressive !