Thursday, June 14, 2007

History

This week I have been spending all my free time designing Z's fall curriculum.

Yesterday I figured out our History program.

We will be doing the Renaissance this term and we are going to do it 2 - 3 days a week.

First we will be watching a PBS mini-seriesin the evening as a family Medici - Godfather's of the Renaissance The Medici's were patrons to many famous men of the Renaissance.

We will also be reading biographies. Here is the list I have so far:
Filippo Brunelleschi
Henry VIII
Catherine of Aragon
Thomas More
Queen Elizabeth
Christopher
William Shakespeare
Copernicus
Galilei Galieo
William Harvey
Sir Francis Drake
Sir Walter Raleigh
Gutenberg
Leonardo da Vinci
Michelangelo
Ferdinand Magellan and other explorers
Medici
Francesco Petrarca
Machiavelli
Rapheal and other painters
Tycho Brahe, Johannes Kepler and other scientists
Martin Luther and John Calvin

We will be incorporating narration and writing into these readings.

Lastly Z will be creating a Glossary of Terms with information from that time period on Humanism, Astronomy, Protestantism, Inquisition, The Courtier, Merchants, Navagations and Maps, Alchemy, Colonization, Exploration, Puritans, 30 Year War, Sisten Chapel and more.

I think the first day we will read and then second day she will narrate and write on the bio and the glossary.

5 comments:

Jaime said...

I have been completely fascinated with Henry VIII lately. I highly recommend "The Other Boleyn Girl" (for you, not Z!) Now that I am all excited about this time period and the Tudor family, she is really excited too! Lots of Horrible Histories and Dead Famous bios in our future :-)

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

That is neat that you have it all planned out!

sarah said...

Very impressive. But then I am always impressed by your planning and the excellence of the education you provide for Z.

J, I went through a Henry VIII craze last year, although I've always loved the Tudors. I have to offer another Boleyn suggestion - the biography by Joanna Denny. This gives a profound insight into Anne which will change your view of her, Henry, and other contemporaries. It's an adult book but reading it will certainly influence how you teach the history of the Tudors to your child.

Goodness me, I sound like the publisher of the book!

Garden State Kate said...

Wow, it sounds like you'll both enjoy it!

C's Learning Treasures said...

Very impressive and comprehensive:) I am too lazy, I just buy books/DVD's ECT.. for O to do on his own.