Wednesday, July 25, 2007

sick and Harry Potter

Yesterday (that was Tuesday right?) I felt terribly tired all day. I actually almost fell asleep in at her piano class. D'oh! Then this morning I work up with a sore throat and an upset tummy. :(

So I spent much of the day on the couch resting. I figured since Harry Potter is still real big in our minds that today would be a good day to have a Harry Potter movie marathon. We started before 9:00 and now, after 5:00 we are on the Goblet of Fire. *jeez*

Speaking of Harry Potter, I wanted to say that I am glad that my daughter has Harry Potter in her life. Just the spectacle of it, the shared worldwide obsession, will be defining time period she can look back upon. In my childhood we had Star Wars. I think Harry Potter is Z's version of that. (I also compare Pirates with Indiana Jones.)

And Z has been really into HP sine she was 3 1/2. There have only been a couple months of the last three years that she hasn't been reading one of the books.

Part of me is sad that the books are over. But at least there are two more movies (which I admit are nowhere near as good as the books) and J.K. Rowling is supposed to be writing an encyclopedia to share the information she knows about the history and future of characters.

Are there better books then Harry Potter? Definitely! Just as there are better movies than Star Wars. But still there is some special about them that speaks to lots of people. I mean, when is the next time people are going to line up by the thousands to get a book the moment it is released?

I am glad that my daughter got to be part of this extraordinary shared experience.

6 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I hope you feel better soon.

C's Learning Treasures said...

Ditto,I hope you feel better! It somehow feels worse to be sick in the summer:(O has a nasty cold, I may keep him home from class today.

Garden State Kate said...

Feel better!
I have never read any H.P., but
I did love (ok, still do) Star Wars.

sarah said...

Sorry to be coming in late here with my wishes for your quick recovery!

Anonymous said...

Bummer, summer illnesses are yucky! Feel better.

Cher Mere said...

Thanks everyone!