Friday, December 08, 2006

Rocks, Minerals, and Fairies

Today Z got a check for her interview in the new book Smart Talk: What kids say about growing up gifted and it was for $100!

After she got the check the next store we went into was the New Age/Magic type shop that I previously wrote about here. I wanted to go in to see if they had a prism, which I was hoping to get for Z for Hanukkah. They did and I did. (Z was so enamoured of other things that she didn't even notice.)

Z was walking around in a daze again, falling in love with everything in the store. But this time she had in her mind that she had money to spend, and a lot of it.

She was interested in a fairy figurine but on her "shopping list" she also put a couple stones and some larger minerals that were $30 and $20 dollars (one was a beautiful spirit quartz, aka a fairy quartz). She wanted about $65 dollars worth of rocks and minerals.

I actually didn't let her buy anything. I told her she needed to but $25 in the bank and if she still wanted the rocks in a couple days we would go back. She is certain that she will want them and she told me "That store is really special." in a very serious and moved voice.

My maman started Z on her rock collection. Then when allowed to spend $10 at a museum store she surprised me and added a few more rocks to her collection. She got some volcanic rock up in Mammoth this summer and some stones that we haven't identified at Versailles in France and at the beach on the Mediterranean Sea.

I am thinking that if she buys these other rocks/minerals that I am going to set up some kind of display for her. Right now she is keeping them in a plastic collectors case. But I think she would rather have them out where she can see and touch them.

Then problem is that we have to keep them safe from her little friends who might be visiting. We can't just have them out on her dresser... they will end up playing with them and losing them in her room. I am thinking some kind of shelf with little name plate or something... Any ideas?

I did buy her a rose quartz because she had grown attached to a particular one. I remember my mother giving me a heart shaped on when I was in highschool and I used to carry it around with me. I also had a crystal necklace I used to wear.

It was also the prism that used to hang in front of the sliding glass door and shine rainbow lights in the dining room at the Victoria Lane house that made me want to buy one for Z.

I think it is so sweet that she is a little girl who's heart gets touched by rocks. :)

1 comment:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

We had an issue with the girl next door and Ami's precious items. Now, I don't let her play in the house. Not a big deal because Ami has a lovely play area out doors with a little house.

How about a beautiful box with beautiful tissue papers perhaps with dividers and labels as Sarah suggested?