Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Food Glorious Food

I recently read the book by the guy who made the Super Size Me movie. Boy, oh boy, that really changed my eating habits.

We have been off trans fats for two weeks now. It isn't that hard since we don't eat much prepared food or eat at fast food places. Z is really getting into it and checks everything for trans fats or "partially hydrogenated oils" before it goes into our shopping cart or her mouth. The other day at her grandmother's she found some crackers with trans fats and tried to throw them away! I told her that grandma has to make that choice for herself.

I have also decided we should go organic for dairy and grass-fed for meat. I feel awful that Z has been drinking so much regular milk lately. I have been good about cooking "healthy" (lots of veggies, fruits, omega-3 fatty fish, less red meat, etc) but I hadn't totally jumped on the anti-transfat wagon. I really didn't know any better.

We are lucky to have a Whole Foods just a few blocks away so I have a lot more choices there than I do at the regular market. It is going to take some creative menu massaging to keep the prices down to what we are used to paying though.


I have been feeling very homey lately, probably because I haven't been home that much. *wink* I feel like I want to start knitting, or sewing my own clothes...

I also want to sit in the rocking chair with Z on my lap, under a handmade quilt, in front of the fireplace, and read her old-fashioned children's stories. Or maybe go on a hay ride and drink hot chocolate... know what I mean?

Pere's job search is going well. He is talking to several companies and quiet busy. I am praying that he finds the right one.

No comments: