Monday, December 04, 2006

Looking cute vs being yourself

So Sunday night Z had a looping session at her voice over class. She came prepared with her “special talent”, well… actually, two talents, singing in Japanese and speaking in a British accent.

She knows several songs in Japanese and it wasn’t until the drive to her class that I asked her which song she was going to sing. She told me and I was a little unsure about her choice. I felt like there were a couple other songs that sounded cuter. But I wondered if it was worth it to try to get her to change her song.

It ended up becoming something of an ethical dilemma that just shows how conflicted I still am with this whole “showbiz” endeavor.

For a kid Z’s age you are “selling” people on her “cuteness” and not much more. So should I tell Z that she should pick the songs that she sounds cuter singing? Or should I let her approach this on her own terms?

I decided on the latter. I have some issues with the idea of “selling” my daughter anyway. She wants to act and I want to support that. But more than that I want to support her and her choices.

I have always taught her to be kind and respectful but I don't think I need to teach her to focus on being "cute"or sellable" , KWIM?

1 comment:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Well, no matter what Z does she is going to be cute!

I think when children choose their own project or you help them narrow it to a couple of choices they actually surprise you. I hope she wowed them.