Tuesday, December 12, 2006

kissed a boy

*sigh*

all I can say is *sigh*

Z was playing with friends after her science class today and she came running over to me all flush and pink, she grabbed me and pulled me down to her mouth and whispered in my ear "I kissed Joey!"

At first I was kind of upset and I think she could tell. I said something like 'Why did you do that?"

She said "I don't know. I just like him so much!"

She looked at me warily and, seeing my expression, her face fell and she looked ashamed.

That made me feel really bad. So I tried to hide my misgivings and smile. But I had to ask "What did Joey think?"

She said "He said he was too young for that."

I nodded. I agree.

Then Z climbed up on my lap and almost started to cry. I asked her what was wrong and she said "I did something wrong!"

Then I thought about it and changed my mind.

Really she is an innocent little girl who is the type who gets crushes. And she only kissed him on the shoulder (I think think they were just standing next to each other and she, really quickly, leaned over and kissed his shoulder.

She just has a lot of love. I decided then to support her.

When I was a girl I had a huge crush on a boy for EIGHT YEARS (from 3rd grade to tenth) and I was too shy to do anything about it. I was usually too shy to talk to the boys I really liked and instead would "go out with" boys I liked less.

And just because she was so overcome with puppy love that she kissed a boy doesn't mean that she will grow up to be a hootchie.

I have decided not to wish my daughter didn't want to kiss boys at this age and instead see it as a sign that I have an affectionate and loving child who also is brave with her heart and willing to take a chance.

3 comments:

Sucero Family said...

Great attitude - that is so tough. I am petrified of this issue, but thought that I wouldn't have to worry about it until 12 or so. I guess I had better re-evaluate that and figure out now how I will react to such a thing. I do hope that HS is as confident as Z, that is really something to be proud of. I was scared of the boys I really liked too. You are right- this doesn't mean a future of hootchieness - but a future of confidence and pursuing what she wants! And LOL at Joey's comment.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! It's hard to know how to react on the spot, isn't it? I think you handled it VERY well, though. Surely better than I would have. Thanks for sharing - I'll file this one away in my head for later use :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree -- I think you honored your own feelings and hers. We have dealt with some of the same stuff with V., though honestly there is a strange power trip going on with her along with her genuine affection -- she likes particularly little boys, but she also seems to enjoy making them uncomfortable! Now *that* I have to discourage.