Friday, December 22, 2006

Web Schooling or Schoogling

So I have an idea for what I can do in January for homeschooling. This will be another experiment and like the ones that have come before I believe we will take away some worthwhile ideas from it.

I have read that kids shouldn't spend more than two hours a day on the computer but I haven't heard any studies on whether that is less healthy than sitting in a deak for 5 to 6 hours a day reading a boring textbook or being lectured at.

My idea is to set up my old laptop (soon to be Z's new laptop) with links to interactive sites on the internet and use it like a... a... futuristic textbook LOL

Here are some ideas of things that Z can do:

Write book reviews on Amazon

Write emails to friends

Do EPGY for math

Keep a log of animals seen on enature.com's wildlife list

Do a daily set puzzle, or chess game, or code breaker,

Write and publish stories at Chateau Meddybemps

Find directions for science experiments on Dragonflytv

Play games in French, Spanish, Italian or Dutch on Boowakwala

Watch videos at Smithsonia's online kidscastle

Join an online book club at Barnes and Noble.com

Listen to books online at audible or itunes


Check out How Everything Works

Keep track of the happenings at the International Space Station on NASA's website

Create her own crossword puzzles on DiscoverySchool.com

Create a map that shows the origins of spices and herbs from her favorite dish or watch a movie about the world's largest Buddist temple atNational Geographic

Listen to the Top 100 Speeches at AmericanRhetoric.com



You get the picture... :)

I don't plan to just plop her in front of the internet for hours and ignore her. I figure she will do it for an hour or two in the morning. Unlike the unschooling experiment I see no reason to keep this one going if it is not working out. I just think there are of interesting and innovative websites out there that are doing what they can to change with way we learn, communicate and create.

6 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I think this is a very interesting idea and a clever post. I especially like the idea of writing book reviews for Amazon. I could see Ami enjoying that one.

Anonymous said...

How do you like EPGY? I am very interested in it, but afraid it would not be a good fit. V. is very good at math, but not a math prodigy by any stretch. In particular her basic math facts (yes, I know, familiar old story) are not on a par with her other math skills. It is a bit $$, so I don't want to invest unless it seems like a big payoff.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mere, I came to your blog by way of invitation on the discussion board. You have a lovely child and no, I don't find the "stage mother" description apt. It sounds to me like you are simply being a good mother.

I also have a daughter who showed an interest in performing at a young age. Unfortunately, I was far less attuned to it than you are. It took me a while, but she was a relentless ham.:-) Now she is a lovely young woman still intent on following her dreams and she has my full support. I don't think my initial reluctance to see her "on stage" has done any harm, except to say that she probably doesn't always have as much confidence in her abilities as are warranted.

I don't think it is ever a bad thing to support the dreams of your child. They may take them to places never imagined or they may take them to exactly where they were meant to be. But in the process they will always know that they have at least that one person, besides themselves, who believes.

As my daughter has gone on to bigger and better things, I find she still looks for me in theaters and breathlessly awaits my review - it's always good. :-)

I have learned over the years that no matter what she does, I'm proud of her and that pride gives her the strength she needs to find out who it is she really wants to be.

Cher Mere said...

Hi Mamita

I am not sure how this new homeschooling experiment will go. Z doesn't spend much time on the internet now and maybe she is still to young to do so. I will just need to make sure she is doing a variety of things - playing outside, reading books, doing arts, etc - and watch for signs that computer time might be causing her ill effects.

Cher Mere said...

Shaun

Z hasn't started EPGY yet. I was waiting till the holidays are over since you pay for the time. I am going to try to have our charter school pay for it.

Cher Mere said...

Jan

Thanks!

I am still relunctant about her acting professionally. But I was finally convinced that we could try it and if annything negative was happening she would stop. So that is where I am with it now. I do have misgivings based on perceptions that I have developed from reading tabloids at the checkout counter *wink* but so far everyone has been very nice.

I do have an issue with her being in Hollywood as a woman and the body image issues that might develop. KWIM?