Monday, December 11, 2006

Z's competition

Z had her piano competition last night.

She was _so_ the youngest in her program. The next oldest was probably nine and it went up from there with most of the kids older teenagers.

Amazingly Z played really really well. She played first and she sat so nicely for the next two hours that the Chairperson singled her out for praise at the end of the program.

Here are some pictures of her with her jacket still on in one of the practice rooms before the program.





Even though Z performed great and had a very good experience I still have issues with competitions. A competition is not about how good you are but about how good you are at that moment, and how good you are at performing in front of an audience and with a lot of pressure to "win."

I don't think that is what being a musician is about. Where will winning competitions really lead you?

I would rather Z spend less time practicing for competitions and more time exploring and creating music.

I have a video of her competition but I have having a hard time putting it on youtube. If anyone wants to see if let me know and I will email you a link.

2 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Congratulations to Z!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Z as well:)
I think I feel the same about competitions though...We are just beginning piano this spring, so I have no clue what to expect with it. I do know that I don't want Grace in any competitions though. ( Not that she's good enough to be IN one anyway...but you never know! LOL) Its taken us a while to get the right teacher, timing and cost for these lessons, so I hope they go well!
Forte!