Friday, December 01, 2006

Unschooling day 5

Read Harry Potter
Listened to the Beatles and discussed their early work
Read and colored the comics

Astronaut training class - Locating, photographing, and calculating the mass disappearance of rainforests working with astronauts on Expedition 11
using EarthKAM on the International Space Station

Asked to look up Pagan beliefs ‘on wikipedia”
Wrote in her Harry Potter Journal
Sociology - discussed why more men than women are astronauts and compared it to Jews being merchants rather than farmers in regards to societal pressures.
Piano and orchestra lessons
Practiced Jumping Rope
Synagogue - Torah reading, singing, etc
Dancing at synagogue
Read My Side of the Mountain

*********

The astronaut training class is totally cool! The kids are getting to work the the astronauts John Phillips and a Russian - Kirkalev.

This is what it says about the class on the website:

Communicate with astronauts in space from our own NASA Mission Control Center. Learn how to operate a robot actually flying on a NASA mission. Get up close and personal with planets, space, robots, and life as an astronaut!


Adventure Schedule:

Week 1: Welcome to NASA
Week 2: Boosters & Rockets
Week 3: Flying the Shuttle
Week 4: The International Space Station
Week 5: Working with the Astronauts
Week 6: Mission Control
Week 7: ISS EarthKAM mission
Week 8: Earth from Above

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to tell you that I am SO glad you are trying this and posting about it! I have never really tried unschooling K. I just can't imagine that she would really learn, and not just play Polly Pockets all day. But I've never tried, so I don't know for sure :-) Thank you for letting me live vacriously through you, and see that unschooling *might* just work! I may have to do my own experiment one of these days.

Cher Mere said...

Hey Jaime

I think I am only able to do it because I am only committed for a short time.

I don't have to worry that what she does or does not do will keep her out of college because we are only doing it for a month.

I am not sure what we are going to do in January. I am open to the idea that we might keep unschooling but it is not the plan.

You should try it, even if just for a month. I feel really relaxed about it. :)

Anonymous said...

I REALLY like the astronaut class!!! Let us know how it goes:)
Forte

Valentine Cawley said...

Hi Cher Mere

I have not blocked any posts from anyone, contrary to your attempted post on my site.

There is one post by you that I have yet to get around to answering. Your post is a very long post with detailed points that need answering - and as I specifically pointed out in a post on my blog, I don't post something unless I have the opportunity to answer it.

I am surprised that you have concluded that I don't post those that disagree with me - many of the comments that I have posted on the blog are from those who disagree. I have answered them, at the time of posting. Other posts are from those who are supportive.

The post you wrote is not of the supportive kind - it is of the critical/disagreeing kind. It is therefore important that it be answered at the time of posting. I have been busy with other matters recently. Your post will be posted once I have got around to attending to it.

Kind regards