Monday, November 06, 2006

fairy love

We were shopping this weekend and I took Z into a new shop that opened up in the strip mall we were at. It was one of those New Age shops with crystals and tarot cards and such.

Well it has been a long time since I was in a place like that and apparently fairys are "In".

And Z was enraptured. There were stone fairies, glass fairies, fairy books, fairy encyclopedias, fairy posters, fairy t-shirts, fairy tarot cards, etc.

While I looked around Z sat down and read a book of fairy "spells".

When it was time to leave I could tell Z had fallen under a spell herself. She was so touched that she couldn't even speak for awhile. It was like she had been to a real "magical" realm and all her secret hopes were true there.

I held her (she was so starry-eyed I was afraid she would walk into a wall) and I smiled for her. But then she said in a forlorn little whisper "I wish the fairies would come to me." and I felt sad for her because they won't.

I mean, it is possible that she will go on believing in magic, I start partly do. But magic is only something we can have faith in or "believe" that we are experiencing. But the fairies won't really come to her the way she wants them too.

But I can console myself with the idea that something else might come to her and fill her with the same faith that something wonderful exists just beyond our knowledge.

6 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

You described a very beautiful experience. I can just visualize Z’s reaction.

Some children see or imagine in a spiritual sense what we cannot. Now, I admit I am weird but I don’t disbelieve in a spiritual realm that most of us cannot see or experience except through faith.

Ami experienced a similar reaction to this music. It is called In the Company of Angels and the musician recommended it for children http://www.robinmillermusic.com/catalog2.html It called her from the car, through the parking lot, through a maze of little shops to where he was playing where she listened entranced.

My wish for Ami is that she has faith in something wonderful beyond our knowledge. Thanks for giving me the words to express that thought.

Cher Mere said...

Hey Mamita

I wanted to tell you that I checked Wolves of Willowby Chase out from the library for Z today.

She is also starting her first Nancy Drew book, the Secret of the Old Clock. I wonder if she will like it. I never read any Nancy Drew.

I am going to read WoWC with her because it looks like a good book.

p.s. I am weird too and I believe in all sorts of things. ;)

I will check out the music. I am like Ami in that music can really speaks to my soul.

Anonymous said...

Cher,
Wolves, and the other books are EXCELLENT! I read them as a child, and I spent the rest of my childhood immersed in the imaginary culture! :) I sent the volume to Ami, hoping it would spark a similar flame! I hope Z enjoys them as well! I always thought of myself as very "Bonnie". Have fun!
Forte

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting that -- it was lovely to read. I have seen Violet in tears because the magical worlds she loves are places she can never go -- I can't remember the book that prompted it, but she once told me it was cruel to write books that would make children want to see fairies. That was at least a year ago, though, and now we are deep in fairy love again (see my post from yesterday!). I hate to see her so sad, and yet part of me knows that her sadness comes from deep sincerity and trying in her young way to balance a heart open to mystery and wonder with a mind that seeks truth in all things. It isn't easy to keep both of those things alive, as adults know all too well!

Cher Mere said...

Sarah

Does any one live there? Like a ranger or caretaker?

I think it is great that Rose has such a strong love in an area that actually has a lot of cool careers available.

We all have such sweet soulful girls don't we. :)

Valentine Cawley said...

Life offers many beautiful experiences. So, although fairies are a beautiful idea, there is no need of them. One day Z will discover all the beautiful things in life - and she will not miss the fairies at all.