Sunday, November 19, 2006

Early Reading Meme

I have been visiting some new blogs recently and I found this meme on Mommy Brain

1. How old were you when you learned to read and who taught you?

The story goes that I was reading at three but I don't really remember it. My mother taught me. I do remember her reading to me in my bunkbed at night.

2. Did you own any books as a child?

I am sure I did. But when I was really little I mainly went to the library. My mom (or the library) had a rule that I could only check out as many books as I was years old. This was when I was reading chapter books. I think we went to the library once a week.

When I was older I had quite a collection of fantasy and horror novels.

3. What’s the first book that you bought with your own money?

I really don't remember

4. Were you a re-reader as a child? If so, which book did you re-read most often?

The Great Brain books by John Fitzgerald. When I was a little older the Xanth books by Piers Anthony.

5. What’s the first adult book that captured your interest and how old were you when you read it?

When I was ten I read Pet Cemetary by Stephen King. That same year I went on to read Christine, Carrie, Firestarter, The Bachman Books, Skeleton Crewe, Cujo, and more. I didn't read The Stand till I was older.

6. Are there children’s books that you passed by as a child that you have learned to love as an adult? Which ones?

Lots! I never read the classics. First I read a lot of stuff like Judy Blume and Beverly Clearly and then I went right into fantasy, sci-fi and horror.

With Z I am reading the unabriged originals of the best children's classics and now I see why they are classic. Peter Pan is one of my favorite books ever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Z loves learning so much, she is a great candidate for unschooling. And you girls do so much wonderful educational stuff as it is, with your visits and classes, just for fun, that I think she has an amazingly educational life, whether you provide formal lessons or not.

We have been working with protractors the past week too! Today we drew a picture of two turtles sitting beneath a sun, and drew angles all over their backs, and in the sun, and coloured them in. It was unnecessary; this morning in bed Rose was holding up her arm at different angles and naming the degrees. But I want to bring more artwork into her lessons, and I was determined to go through with this lesson whether necessary or not!

Anonymous said...

OOPS! Sorry, I meant to put this comment beneath the latest post, but for some reason it ended up here.