Tuesday, November 21, 2006

unschooling

So I guess we started unschooling a little early.

Today would have been our last day of my six week curriculum. But Z had science class early so we didn't get everything done. And I didn't really care about doing it.

Z usually has afternoons to herself. This afternoon she asked me to play a game with her so we played Cadoo, which is a really cool game!

When we finished she wandered into her room and then came out and ask "Mommy, can we do some math?"

I warily asked "What kind of math?"

'Like we did yesterday, geometry and measuring angles." she said.

So we played the next game in the geometry book that had you trying to draw angles certain with only a ruler.

I wonder if this is how unschooling is going to be. LOL

***********

Today I was talking to some homeschooling mom friends with gifted kids. I was talking with them about my unschooling experiment and some of them are going to try it over the holidays too. One mom said that it was normal for kids to just want to play but when they got to be eleven or twelve they would start asking for more formal work.

And I said "Z was asking me to teach her when she was really young."

Then I felt weird for saying that because I really wasn't trying to brag. I was just really caught off guard by the idea that kids didn't ask to be taught math or reading or science until they were eleven.

Is Z really that different?

I mean I kind of get it that it is unusual for a five year old to initiate measuring angles with a protractor but it doesn't seem totally unlikely to me.

The whole exchange left me really wondering if Z is unusual even amoung other gifted kids for being academically inclinded.

2 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I am not sure why people say that about unschooling and I think I have even read something similar. It is not true around here. I can't imagine a child not asking to know about something.

Anonymous said...

I have had the same experience - wondering if my dd was stranger than even gifted normal because she was so much more academically inclined than all the other gifted children we knew.

It's why unschooling should work for us, but it doesn't because she doesn't get that intense academic diet she really seems to need. She does read and question and explore, but is still too young to provide for herself a critical thinking model of education. And whether she knows it or not that's what she needs to stay balanced and happy.

But unschooling has its place too, even if only for a temporary while. Have fun!