Thursday, November 09, 2006

When it rains it pours and Smart Talk

Since Z started doing the professional acting thing in August she has had two auditions a week pretty regularly. So I was surprised when she didn't get any calls last week.

But this week more than made up for it. She has four this week, including one callback and another one already set up for Monday.

I asked Z today "What if you had an audition everyday? Would that be too much?" and she said "No way! I love auditioning!"

Okay...

It would kind of be a pain for me though. I had to cancel two play dates this week and bow out of a fieldtrip where I was supposed to give someone a ride and my credit card was holding the reservations. :( But they were able to put the reservations in their own name.)

************

Today we got our free copies was the new Robert Schultz and Jim Delisle book, Smart Talk - What Kids Say About Growing Up Gifted.


If any of you pick up this book you will find Z's story on page 92 and 93. They have this really funny black and white graphic of a littel girl with pig-tails singing on her story. :)

It is about children with passions and, Z was interviewed for this when she was 4. In it she talks wanting to explore her talent for acting and musical theatre. I feel pretty good with how we have found better opportunities for her in the last year and a half.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will add Smart Talk to the 800 other books I want to order from the library! Do you know the book The Report Card by Andrew Clements? I am sure you probably know the book and it is way way below Z's reading level but she might enjoy it. I have enjoyed all of his books especially Frindle. What happens when a gifted child can read way above her age level? Does she miss out on reading simple but enjoyable stories? This is a friendly question not rhetorical. Sometimes it is difficult to convey a friendly voice in comments.

Cher Mere said...

Thanks for clarifying Nina

I do have to be careful to make sure Z reads some books before she out grows them.

But she doesn't just read at her highest level. Right now I think she is reading a book about fairies with glitter stickers in it.

I do know of The Report Card and I actually think that Z is not ready for it yet. Since we homeschool she doesn't get the idea of those school issues yet. And she hasn't had the experience of having to hide her abilities to protect friendships, etc.

I think when she has that then she would really appreciate reading that book.

So, anyway - she still does read simple stories. She still reads picture books sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Fun, I will look for Smart Talk too! We are looking forward to Z's big screen debut, so we can see her larger than life! ;)
You know, I still enjoy reading the really good picture books, so it seems natural to me that Violet would too. She's 9-10 yrs. above grade level now in language (so says the test anyway), which means that she almost never reads at her highest level. :( Very few "young adult" books strike me as OK for a 7-year-old, and as you say, a lot of school/school-friend issues don't have a lot of relevance for her. (And anything with a tinge of romance disgusts her!) No wonder she rereads Harry Potter and Little House obsessively!

Valentine Cawley said...

Congratulations to Z and you for managing to get her so many auditions: in choosing agents, you obviously chose well.

I hope she goes far.

Kind regards