Sunday, November 05, 2006

Needs of Gifted Students

This was from a chart where you could rate 1 (not at all) to 5(to a great extant) how these things are integrated into a gifted program

1. Basic Cognitive Skills
a. Critical Thinking
b. Creative Thinking
c. Problem Solving
d. Research
e. Decision Making
2.Basic Affectice Skills
a. Tolerance of self and others
b. Constructive use of humor
c. Coping with being different
d. Discriminating between the real and the ideal
e. Using their high-level sensitivity
3. To be challenged by master level work in areas of strength and interest
4. To be challenged by exposure to new ideas.
5. To be challenged by the opportunity to see interrelationships
6. To be challenged by the experiences that promote understanding human value systems
7.To be challenged through discussions with intellectual peers
8. To be challenged by activities at complex levels of thought
9. To be challenged through opportunities for divergent production
10. To be challenged by the opportunity for real-world problem solving

I would think a lot of ideas on that list are incorporated in our homeschooling or raising of Z.

There are some things I think I should work on or that I have questions about:

e. Decision Making - I think I could create more opportuities for Z to do decision making

e. Using their high-level sensitivity - I don't think it has occured to me to try to use her high-level sensitivity, but once I thought about it some things came to me.

7.To be challenged through discussions with intellectual peers - Z does play with other EG/PG kids but they don't really have "discussions".

9. To be challenged through opportunities for divergent production - I am not sure what that means. Any ideas?

2 comments:

Cher Mere said...

Hi Sarah

When I looked up Divergent Production I found this"

Convergent Production
Convergent Production is the focused production of information. Convergent Production refers to logical and deductive thinking and is a kind of productive thinking in which there is one correct answer. This thinking operation also includes organizing and sequencing information.
 
Divergent Production
Divergent Production refers to creative thinking that involves a broad and varied production. Divergent Production includes the production of options, fluency, flexibility, originality, and risk-taking.

Valentine Cawley said...

Some kids are good at convergent production, some are good at divergent production. They are often different kids, though there are a few who are good at both. I wouldn't be worried if a kid showed a strength in one type of production, but a weakness in the other - for a strength in either leads to many options in life - they are just different options. That is all.

Kind regards