Wednesday, November 15, 2006

confronting a friend

Z has some problems with a girlfriend, A. They have been friends for over a year now and see each other every week at our homeschool group's park day.

Well since this school year started Z had been pulling away and hanging out with other kids.
A's mom came to me and said that Z told A not to sit next to her in class and when A sat next to her anyway Z got up and moved to sit next to the teacher.

When I asked Z about this she said that she didn't know why. But later she told me why.

She said A never lets her have a say in the games, she says no to all Z's ideas and input.
A has made a new friend she had plays favorites and will hold hands with the girl and not with Z. Then they walk ahead of her and when Z tries to catch up with them they walk faster. (That makes me really sad)

Today when Z was telling me about it she started crying and said that she was afraid that if she didn't do what A wanted that A wouldn't be her friend anymore.

I told her that real friends care about each other and don't try to hurt each other. Then Z told me that before now she was too little to handle A but now she is old enough that she knows what to do. (awww)

Anyway look at that last sentence again. You know that is the situation we put our kids in all the time. I mean I had been explaining to Z what she should do about A for a long time and she stood up for herself her and there. But she was still felt like she was "too little" to handle it. Now all of the sudden, without my urging, she is handling it herself. But I know this is just the beginning of these "girl issues".

I asked her to just keep coming to me with her problems because this is how girl relationships can be and that I had the same problems so I can help her navigate through all this.

3 comments:

Valentine Cawley said...

Gifted children attract bullies - and other social problems. Z will have to learn her own defenses...and it looks like she is beginning to.

I am happy for that.

Please see the post under the one below re. astronaut training and a TV show opportunity.

Best of luck on it.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I am so sorry Z has to go through this. She is very brave. Hugs to her.

Anonymous said...

There is a little hurt girl in all of us who feels terrible for Z. It breaks my heart to think of children being left out or treated badly by their peers. Thumbs up to you for handling it so well. Z will know that she can come to you with any problem.