Thursday, November 16, 2006

Fun with web and ink

Most of you have probably already heard about Google Earth. But if you haven't already downloaded it and played with it I really recommend that you do.

http://earth.google.com/

Today I used it in a lesson about Vikings so Z could see the harsh climate of Norway, Iceland and Greenland.

Yesterday I showed her the apartments her Pere and I lived in when we first started dating.
Pere showed her the school he went to as a child.
They also looked up some big earthquakes in California and off the coast of Japan and compared their magnitude.

We found the apartment we stayed at in Paris. She looked around in Egypt.

And we flew around downtown Tokyo in 3-D.

I give Google Earth two thumbs up!

Speaking of thumbs, one of mine is bright blue.

Today Z and I got some ink and did our fingerprints and then Z studied them with a magnifying glass and wrote down if they had an arch, loop, or whorl pattern. Then she dusted the my water glass and found my prints and we talked about how police and detective use that information.

Also Z finished her second grade math book today. She asked if she could start the 3rd grade book today too but I asked her to wait.

I got a lot of cool math activity books from the library in this series Measurement Mania - this one says "Once you’ve mastered the basic forms of measurement––length, volume, weight, temperature, and time––you’ll learn how to measure the length of an ant in millimeters, the height of a telephone pole in feet, the volume of a bathtub in ounces, the weight of one spaghetti noodle in grams, and the temperature inside a refrigerator in Celsius.You’ll discover how to tell time with a candle, create optical illusions, and measure the tallest tree in your neighborhood without climbing an inch!"

I also got some fun eco friendly science books with activities - I am really excited about Animals Alive! and The Private Eye.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the fantastic applications of Google Earth. Z is one lucky girl. Interesting fingerprint project. I'll have to remember that when Citcat is a little older. We plan to adopt a few more children. You cannot believe the amount of fingerprinting and background checks that go into approving parents for adoption. Oh and I added Measurement Mania to my order from the library list. It grows by 10s everyday!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I am familar with it but you have thought of a fantastic method to use it in learning!

Cher Mere said...

Sarah

I use a program at statcounter.com. Since I use the free version it doesn't give me much information. Mainly the cities that my readers come from. But since I have about 80+ people that read my blog everyday and I can only figure out who ten of them are by connecting my friends to the towns they live in... it isn't all that helpful.