Monday, November 27, 2006

First day of unschooling

Z woke up so excited to start her "unschooling" today.

I have decided that I will report a daily list of what she has done for this month. Mainly this would be for any readers I have who are interested in what can be accomplished by a child following her own accord.

To be honest I do not really believe in unschooling. I think that Z will not only learn more but she will learn better with me guiding her and teaching her.

This experiment is happening because Z just finished her second grade math book and I am not going to start EPGY until January. And also she will be busy with the classes she takes outside of the home during the month of december that I don't want to have a set curriculum that we will only fall behind on.

But still I am going to give it my best shot. :)

Today I really just followed Z's lead and this is what she wanted to do and did.

Read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
I Love Math - word problems, fractions, measuring volume, shapes, measuring weight, and more. Z wanted to work on this for more than an hour
Piano - composed a song as homework for her piano class
Practiced a piano piece and a song for her winter recital
Science - Developed a presentation about the Human Body for a science class she is teaching tomorrow.
Read a Sailormoon book
Played the Allowance game again - doing things like paying $.85 for something and paying with a ten or five dollar bill and making change. She is getting good at this and is doing it in her head.
Wrote down fake names and addresses in her Harry Potter address book
Went to her piano lesson
Practiced her British accent for her voice-over class
Made Hanukkah crafts
Drew a Menorah and wrote a letter to a friend about Hanukkah and menorahs
Played with a Colonial girl sticker book

No comments: