Saturday, November 11, 2006

Sick girl and temper

Poor Z was sick today with a tummy ache.

But last time Jose Luis Orozco was in town, two years ago, I was sick and she didn't get to see him. Z had been listening to Jose Luis Orozco since she was two and our librarian introduced her to Spanish. When I was teaching Z Spanish back then we used to listen to him all the time.

We loved him and his concert today was great and Z and I were both glad we went.


This was her sitting and drawing while we were in line.


Z with some of her friends we met at the concert. You can tell she is sick.


They found a leaf with the underside covered with aphids.

After the concert Z had another audition. She was feeling better there and played hang-man with some of the other girls.

But I think her sickness really threw her off.

We got home late this afternoon. We met up with one of our neighbors who is pregnant and who needed help carrying some big items up to her apartment. She has a young homeschooled daughter that Z sometimes plays with. After we dropped off the items at her house Z asked if she could stay and play.

I said "No." and she immediately got this obstinate look on her face.

"Why not?!" she demanded.

I answered her under my breath, very evenly. "I don't have to tell you why not. But it is time to go."

"Well, I want to know why." She said and I could see her digging in her metaphorical heels.

I gave her my "don't even go there" face.

She started to run off. I called after her and she said, almost in tears "I have to say Good-bye!"

I went after her and waited while she said good-bye to her friend.

But, of course, she really wasn't willing to go, even after she said good-bye. She started crying again about me rushing her and and wouldn't come.

I ended up having to carrying her home and when we got there she shouted at me.

To tell the truth I was a little impressed that she yelled at me. I want to have the kind of relationship with Z where she feels like that is a possibility.

While this was going on there was a knock on the door and our neighbor and her daughter came by to see if Z could come over and play. I told her that Z was definitely not coming over.

Afterwards Z cuddled up with me and we made up.

3 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

We love Jose Luis Orozco too! We discovered his CDs in a shop in Santa Fe several years ago. That is so neat that you saw him in concert.

I hope Z feels better soon. (Ami doesn't seem to slow down either when she is sick.)

Sucero Family said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sucero Family said...

Sorry for deleting, I commented on a hallucination so it didn't make much sense!
I am jealous of your JLO concert! You are both very lucky. And I must say that you had a wonderful librarian to introduce you to such great music! JK :)