Tuesday, November 21, 2006

forty thousand sixty seven

Sorry I haven't been writing much about the Gifted Curriculum book. I am not reading it right now.

But I have written 40,067 words in my book that I am writing for National Novel Writing Months or NaNoWriMo.

When I first decided to do this I figured it was pretty crazy and I had no idea if I would be able to pull it off. But since November 1st (except for one day) I have been writing at least 2000 words a day. Now there are nine days left in this month and I have about five days of writing left to do.

At the end of this month I will have written my first novel. I can say that because, at this point, I really believe that it is going to happen.

This is a big deal for me. I wanted to be a writer since I was five or six but I have never finished anything this size. Fifty-thousand words is more of a novella than a novel but it is a hell of a lot to write in one month, especiallly when you have a full time "job" and a family.

I have always been a fast writer usually because what I write just flows out of me. This time I think I am writing near my fastest because I am not worried about finding the exact best word everytime. So I am writing 2000 words in an hour. I imagine I could write a really good book if I worked at it four to six hours a day.

So anyway, soon I will have a (very) rough draft finished of my sci-fi/fantasy novella 9 Lives.

4 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Wow! Congratulations, that is inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Oh I am absolutely green with envy! I wish I had more time to write. That is one reason I am figuring out changes to my weblog. It is too easy to spend too much time online! And I am a very, very slow writer. I could not get that many words down in that short a time!

Are we allowed to see a sample of it? Please, pretty please with sugar on top? ;-)

Cher Mere said...

Sure you can read an excerpt. I am just not sure what yet. I have to wait until I finish and do some editing. :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news. This is a great example that you can homeschool and have a personal life! It is so nice to realize a dream.