Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Taming of the Shrew, acting and piano



Z had her performances of Taming of the Shrew today.

It went pretty well. She was good in pretty much every scene she was in, but at one point she was confused about when she was supposed to go onstage (they had not made it clear and/or had made so many changes recently she got confused) she tried to ask someone but didn't get a clear answer so she was frustrated and worried when she entered. She looked like she was going to cry.

The second performance was much better though and I think Z had more fun with it.

A lot of little kids that Z plays with at the park came to watch and I heard one of them say "That little one is Z. She's my friend"

Next year there are going to be three Shakespeare groups and based on age Z would be with the 4 - 7 year olds. But one of the directors wrote me to say that Z should be in the 8 - 11 yo group.

So I sat through her two performances and the older kid's play, Romeo and Juliet. Z watched R & J with me and was very sad when Mercutio died.

******************

Monday when I picked Z up from her gramdmere's house I asked her if she wanted to keep doing any professional acting (movies, t.v., commercials, print or voice overs) and she said "Not really."

Then Tuesday her agency called and asked if she would come in to do a voice over audition for an animated movie. I told them I would have to get back to them. Then I asked Z about it and she said, quite brightly 'Sure, that could be cool!"

Voice overs are cool and they are the easiest to audition for, she can do it right in the sound studio at her agency.

So we went there that evening. On the way there I felt the stress return and I was thinking that I really don't want to get back into this. I don't think I am really even willing to do it just for voice overs.

*****************

Z is a very musically inclined child. But I am not sure her piano teacher is the right one for her. One problem is that I think what Z really needs is a music mentor not just a piano teacher. Also I think only learning classical piano is too limiting.Z loves all kinds of music.

I just feel like she would really love to learn music more holistically. I am not sure if what I am looking for really even exists.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Z enjoyed her Shakespeare play! You are lucky to have that kind of opportunity available in your HS community.

I know what you mean about the music mentor. I wonder how you would go about finding someone like that?

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Congratulations to Z! I hardly recognize her in costume, but she looks so cute.

Anonymous said...

"really needs is a music mentor not just a piano teacher"

This is such an amazing insight. If more children had a mentor and the opportunity to play all types of music perhaps they would stick with the piano. I am not going to forget this.

The photo of Z is darling. Love the costume. It makes me a little sad to think that my Citcat won't have the opportunity to perform as Z does because of living in a small town.