Tuesday, March 06, 2007

reason #47

This morning Z had her I.Q. tested (again.) This time by the local school district. If I ever have to put her back into free (public) school for a short time (knock on wood) then she will be able to go into the gifted program.

I dropped her off and did a couple errands in the neighborhood and then 2 hours later they called me to come pick Z up.

I talked to the tester and I asked her if Z's cold seemed to effect her focus. She said that Z did very well. But she said that Z seemed to have a hard time sitting still and asked if I had ever "seen" anyone about that. As in like a pyschologist I guess.

I told her that when Z was first tested at four the psychologist said that Z does not have ADD. Then this tester today said that Z's need for moving about didn't seen to hamper her test taking ability today but that it might be more problematic in the future.

I understood that she was referring to problems that would arise if I ever tried to put Z in regular school.

Uh, yeah... no kidding.

I know Z would get in trouble in a regular school for not being able to sit still at her desk for hours on end. That is reason number forty-seven that I do not want to send Z to school.

Reason number forty-eight is that Z would probably get in trouble for talking too much too, like I did.

Reason number forty-nine is that Z would probably get in trouble for arguing with the teacher and get written up like I used to: "Has problems with authority."

I wanted to get Z tested in the system cause you never know when that might be useful, but I have a long list of reasons why I will not be sending Z to public school. Homeschooling just works so much better for us.

3 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

In the classroom, Ami had problems with moving about, falling out of her seat and sometimes scattered.

MLarson said...

I'm impressed that public schools did the testing for you. I haven't had that much experience here(ohio) but I'm told you have to be enrolled for them to do testing. First, they told me they only test at the end of 2nd grade for the gifted program so she would have to be that age for them to do testing. I think I would have to enroll her first too. Are you part of the school district in a charter school or something?

Anonymous said...

Hee hee! I swear I don't have a single female friend who didn't "talks too much" on their report cards, and my mom has mentioned the same thing.
I guess the school's attitude is, if kids need to get socialized they can do it at home. Oh wait . . . ;)