Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Record Keeping

I thought I would share what we do for record keeping.

Earlier this school year I developed a Word document that I use daily for keeping track of what homeschooling we are doing.

It looks like this:

Date _._._

Math (each with two lines for writing on)
Reading
Writing
Lang. Arts
Science
Geography
History
Piano
Art
Japanese
Visual Spatial
Singing
P.E.
Computer
Field Trips

At the beginnig of the week I print out five of these sheets and then I keep it with me during the day and fill it in as we do things.

I plan our curriculum by term and by week. The term is the overview of what subject matter we are going to cover and I keep track of what resources I am using with virtual post-it notes on my laptop's desktop screen. I also use these post-it notes for listing which resources I want to use each week.

I make all sorts of lists on these "stickies".

For example, I recently checked out a book of fun activities with a Medieval theme from the library. It has 50 activities and upon perusing it, I found I would like to do about six of them. So I make a sticky with the title of the book and then list of activity and page number for the ones I want to try.

I also use stickies to keep lists of Visual Spatial activities that Z can do:
Kidpixx
Tetris
Rush Hour
Chess
Legos
Magnetix
Kinex
drawing
tangrams
puzzles
mazes
patterns
drawing maps
origami
sculpting
3 dimentional object contruction - clay

So, I use stickies to list the things I want to do and my Daily Learning Checklist, which is a physical piece of paper, for the thigns we have actually done. I keep the DLC in a folder. It has been very useful on numerous occasions to be able to refer to these records.

Lasy year I kept a similar daily list but I didn't print it out and I have found I am less likely to refer to it when it is a matter of having to open all these word documents rather than just flipping pages in a notebook.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I like it! There are things in your method I could happily use myself. Thanks so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Cool! I actually have a "marbled cover" teachers' notebook that I write tuff in daily. It help with the quarterly reports, because I can refer to specific things we've done.Yeah. We actually have to send in four reports a year and an Intent To Homeschool letter and an IHIP. (Individualized Home Instruction Plan) I hate HS in this state:(
Forte

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

It is sort of similar to mine but I fit a week on the on one page (the front) and make 5 spaces on the back for notes each day. I can't post it or upload a picture. I tried pasting but it destroys the format.