Thursday, March 01, 2007

Art

So yesterday Z had her Girl's Club and as usual they did some kind of art project. Yesterday they actually just painted on paper which was fun for all the girls. I did notice though that Z's painting were kind of blobby. She is not very comfortable with painting because it is not something we often do.

I feel bad to admit that when something has to give at Gray's Academy it is usually art.

Last night I was rationalizing this by telling myself that Z's curriculum includes a lot of things most kids aren't studying, like a foriegn language, a music instrument, theatre, voice, and gymnastics. If we weren't doing all those things I am sure we would have time for art - but we can't do everything!

But then I realzed that one of the things that is holding me back from doing much art in our curriculum is my own dismal art educaiton. Z and I are both interested in artists and are moved by art. I loved art history when I took it in college. But the technical aspect of teaching how to make art is something I have to learn along side Z.

Well, except drawing. I draw pretty well and so does Z. And I admit that _most_ of our "art" is pencil drawings. But painting it a whole different skill set, IMO. I had a pretty good book series I was using to teach art to Z about Impressionism. But I guess it wasn't good enough to really keep us going back to it. I am wondering if maybe we should take art lessons together?

No comments: